Paphiopedilum Yellow Tiger

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eds

Reaction score
Well that's what I purchased it as anyway (and with no parent cross information, I can't add any more information!)

It has opened today (on my birthday which was a very pleasant surprise!) so still has some expanding to do. The laterals still have some twirling and lengthening to do hopefully.

IMG_20200811_123930.jpg

It looks like it is just two more buds to open and I will post an update when all three are out.

This cross is platyphyllum x glanduliferum, done by Powell and registered in 1984 by Capriccio.

Based on OrchidWiz the NS is around 15.9 cm (sample sizes are dorsal 7.5 x 4.5 cm, petals 18.2 x 1 cm) with average 4 flowers per spike. This cross looks like there is roth influence even though there isn't.

Let's see how your flowers expand.

Well, happy birthday 🎂!
I agree with Leslie, if the petals keep twisting, maybe it is a Yellow Tiger. A profile pic might be helpful if you post more.
I guess the pubescent warts on the margins of the petals could be from the glanduliferum.
But what do I know!!! (not much)

Thanks guys. I don't have too many Paphs, especially flowering sized multiflorals, so any flowering is a good flowering!

This cross is platyphyllum x glanduliferum, done by Powell and registered in 1984 by Capriccio.

Based on OrchidWiz the NS is around 15.9 cm (sample sizes are dorsal 7.5 x 4.5 cm, petals 18.2 x 1 cm) with average 4 flowers per spike. This cross looks like there is roth influence even though there isn't.

Let's see how your flowers expand.

Thanks Leslie. There is also a chance that it is a Stone Praetorian with stonei instead of platyphyllum as the latter was stonei latifolium 'back in the day'.

This looks very much like.

Paph. Stone Praetorian - a primary hybrid between P.stonei and P.glanduliferum (syn. praestans).

One of the members of the BPS has one that he brought as P. Yellow Tiger and turn out with a flower the same. He was able to trace it back to the nursery it was brought from and they confirmed the cross.

One of the members of the BPS has one that he brought as P. Yellow Tiger and turn out with a flower the same. He was able to trace it back to the nursery it was brought from and they confirmed the cross.

I don't suppose he bought it from Orchid Garden did he?

Hi Ed,
Blondie is absolutely right, that looks exactly like my Stone Praetorian, also currently in flower.
I had similar fun when it first flowered working out exactly what it is - upshot is, this is just one of those crosses that is rarely labelled right. I think its partly the aforementioned early classification of platiphyllum as a variety of stonei causing confusion, and nurseries just seem to prefer the name Yellow Tiger. The two crosses are obviously very similar, though from what I've seen a true Yellow Tiger has a more apricot coloured pouch from the pale platy, while the stonei cross gets a red one. Either way, I think its a great primary hybrid. Lovely shape and colour. Good timing for your birthday too!
(Wouldn't be surprised if our plants even originated from the same seedling batch - they seemed to be widely available a few years ago from the European nurseries.)
Chris
IMG_3064 (Edited).JPG

Thanks Chris and a good tip on the pouch colour for ID. You may well be right about them being from the same batch - I've only made the one order from Orchid Garden and their choice of Paphs seems to vary a fair bit, possibly alongside what they can source from wholesalers at a decent price.
Ed

Latest posts

Back