paphiopedilum x godefroyae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice but what are you trying to indicate with the X in the middle of the name? "X" before a non-typical species name, such as, xisabella indicates a natural hybrid. xisabella = Cat intermedia x Cat forbsii. This flower doesn't look like a natural hybrid nor is xgodefroyae a known name that I'm aware of.

According Dr. Braem , Site 55, A monograph of all Tropical and subtropical Asiatic slipper-orchids , 1988 . Many authors consider this plantto be natural hybrid between P Bellatulum and P concolor.

According Dr. Braem , Site 55, A monograph of all Tropical and subtropical Asiatic slipper-orchids , 1988 . Many authors consider this plantto be natural hybrid between P Bellatulum and P concolor.

Hakone, G. Braem in 1988.....that's obsolete. If I'm not sure about the name of a plant I will have a look at KEW - The Plant List. There P. godefroyae (without an x) is a valid name.
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/search?q=Paphiopedilum+godefroyae
BTW that's a very pretty flower.

Last edited:
It's a huge flower for a brachy.. very nice!!! It looks like a straight godefroyae to me... S.gratrix= godefroyae x bellatulum....maybe

Wenshanense was once (and still by some) considered a natural hybrid between concolor and bellautum, hence the name Conco-Bellatulum had been used to differentiate manmade hybrid and natural hybrid. Wenshanense are found exclusively on their own far far away from concolor and bellatulum. So, wenshanense is considered its own separate species by some now.

Godefroyae and its variation leucochilum, I don't think have ever heard anyone call them a natural hybrid between concolor and bellatulum. It looks very different from concolor, bellatulum, or wenshanense. The geographic distribution is different and as far as I know, do not ovelap with the other species, either.

Back