Paphiopedilum Wossner Black Wings 'Rajani' AM/AOC

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Just found out that my Wossner Black Wings received an AM award. This is a first flowering seedling from Sam's cross (rothschildianum 'Leo' SM/JOGA x adductum var. anitum 'Ace' AM/AOS). This plant has a bit of a different look, especially the long pendulous petals. Probably the standout features of this clone is the very tall spike (85 cm) and the well spaced flowers. As Stephen has mentioned before, in Australia this plant is awarded under the name Johanna Burkhardt as anitum is not recognised here. This is the first time I have flowered a Paph involving anitum and I can now see what all the fuss is all about. It is such a wonderful hybrid.

WBW%20Rajani.jpg

WBW%20Rajani%202.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations David, very nice. I think that’s another one that came from me, I have 3 in flower from this cross myself right now

Thanks Brad. Yes, another one of yours. I am doing well with your plants. 😊

How does yours compare? Similar sort of look? Really tall spikes?

Thanks Brad. Yes, another one of yours. I am doing well with your plants. 😊

How does yours compare? Similar sort of look? Really tall spikes?
Yes, lovely tall spike but that is common with anitum hybrids. Mine had a bit more wide stance that yours looks to have. I have one from the TON cross that has better colour but not as big

Congrats, David! Wonderful flowers!

But I can't for my death understand, why the AOC isn't following the RHS, when it comes to hybrids? Makes no sense what so ever. This means that your awarded, alleged JB, when brought to Europe or the US for participating in a show will correctly have to be judged as WBW, and you would at some point in time have the same plant awarded as JB as well as WBW (talk about a split personality there). Grotesque!

With species I can somehow understand, why they follow (not always updated or correct) Kew, but with hybrids it's bollocks not to follow RHS!

Last edited:
Congrats, David! Wonderful flowers!

But I can't for my death understand, why the AOC isn't following the RHS, when it comes to hybrids? Makes no sense what so ever. This means that your awarded, alleged JB, when brought to Europe or the US for participating in a show will correctly have to be jufged as WBW, and you would at some point in time have the same plant awarded as JB as well as WBW (talk about a split personality there). Grotesque!

With species I can somehow understand, why they follow (not always updated or correct) Kew, but with hybrids it's bollocks not to follow RHS!
I have asked the judges here why and they are of the understanding that the RHS is about to remove species status of anitum and no longer accept registrations as such, they are also going to make existing registrations synonyms. That was 12 months ago but RHS is still accepting anitum

Congrats! Looks impressive with such a tall inflorescence on a compact plant.

It seems the folks in RHS might need to reconsider that anitum is as different from adductum as wilheminae is from glanduliferum.

Wow, these are majestic flowers on a very tall stem. Congrats for growing this beauty as well as to the award (even if you got it for JB) . 👍

Wow. Great clone. I do love the pendulous petals and excellent sepal shape and colour. Congratulations David.

It seems the folks in RHS might need to reconsider that anitum is as different from adductum as wilheminae is from glanduliferum.

Not sure I agree. When you say glanduliferum I assume you are meaning praestans. I don't think anyone recognises glanduliferum anymore. I can see clear structural differences between the flowers of wilhelminiae and praestans. I for the life of me cannot see much, if any, structural difference in the flowers of adductum and anitum. Still happy enough to distinguish hybrids with these as this is more about horticulture than science.

Yes, lovely tall spike but that is common with anitum hybrids. Mine had a bit more wide stance that yours looks to have. I have one from the TON cross that has better colour but not as big

Yes, anitum does produce hybrids with tall stems but most WBW's seem to have stems around the 70-75 cm mark. On a bigger plant, I can see the stem getting to a metre on this clone.

This hybrid sure has taken this country by storm. In the past 5 years, there has been 4 FCC's, 11 AM's and 3 HCC's awarded in Australia. Incredible, when you consider there has only been 10 rothschildianum's ever awarded here including one FCC way back in 1993.

Congrats! Looks impressive with such a tall inflorescence on a compact plant.

I've been saying this for years! It's Susan Booth vs. William Ambler all over again.

Just found out that my Wossner Black Wings received an AM award. This is a first flowering seedling from Sam's cross (rothschildianum 'Leo' SM/JOGA x adductum var. anitum 'Ace' AM/AOS). This plant has a bit of a different look, especially the long pendulous petals. Probably the standout features of this clone is the very tall spike (85 cm) and the well spaced flowers. As Stephen has mentioned before, in Australia this plant is awarded under the name Johanna Burkhardt as anitum is not recognised here. This is the first time I have flowered a Paph involving anitum and I can now see what all the fuss is all about. It is such a wonderful hybrid.

WBW%20Rajani.jpg

WBW%20Rajani%202.jpg
amazing how small the plant looks!!

Latest posts

Back