Paphiopedilum wolterianum var. album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I like the green ones, too.
The dots are red - maroon.

It's a gorgeous flower... albeit not fma. album! There is no red pigmentation in an album-form - and strictly speaking the flower has to be all white. If it weren't for the red/brownish spots, you could probably have gotten away with 'albo viride' (white-green forn), but as it is, I think fma.'viridis' (greenish form) might be a viable solution?! 'ORG', i.e. Olaf Gruss, would know for sure!

Kind regards,
Jens

Thanks Jens for your comment, I could have thought of this myself.
I just took the time to check it in Olaf Gruss Genus Paphiopedilum Albino Forms. Unfortunately wolterianum is not mentioned. But I'll follow that trail further.

Ozpaph, I'll do so.

Jens, thanks for your remarque, I couldn't remenber, but just checked with braem and cribb and of course you are right!

Paph. wolteriuanum is only a synonym of Paph. appletonianum and so you coul not find the albinoform in my book, only the albinoform of Paph. appletonianum, the forma immaculatum!

Thanks Olaf.
My plant has definitely red maroon pigments in the tiny little spots on the petals, what would you call it though, still forma immaculatum?

I agree with you Eric. There exist very often clones like this beside the typical Albino-forms. It is not necessary to create a new Name for this form.

Some might call it 'a pale form of' appletonianum... other people might try to save the day by resorting to 'semi-album'... not the most luckily choice here, though, 'semi-immaculatum'?!
It's a bit like pregnancy, either you are pregnant or not, and if so probably no longer virgo intacta, immaculate - and thus touching on the concept of immaculate conception: nobody would probably go for " Mater semi-immaculata, ora pro nobis" :D:D:D

Very nice flower albeit not fully album, more viridie type. Though many early ‘album’ and ‘aureum’ forms did have brown hairs somewhere in petals or flower stalks, the names stood until later corrections.

In my mind, if the flower is close to album, a more apt term may be quasi alba, borrowed from the cattleya terminology of horticultural variety to designate almost alba.

Musa, did the flower open more and is that a second bud I see? Did plant leaves look only greenish or had dark purple spotting?

I am reviving this thread because I have two wolterianum albums or immaculatums in low buds. Just wanted to see what to expect. Germany sourced. See pics below.

3BEE6D6A-3A71-4132-8C63-AF54E7A78CAF.jpeg F9156274-ACB2-4F93-B8A9-A36B2EF43E9A.jpeg

Latest posts

Back