Paphiopedilum wolterianum albescent ‘Angel Wings’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blooming after 2 years of sulking lol. Once I moved it cooler it was happier. Not full album due to the brown warts and tan pouch rims. Still a striking flower with the white wings. Likely still expanding as it’s open only for 2 days.

Now a synonym of Paphiopedilum appletonianum fm. viride.

935FF8B6-7922-42D2-9215-414048AD9D2B.jpegDF1BDBDD-E6C9-4521-B278-647519ED693A.jpegAE9BE973-5968-468B-A207-4F1063E0BD2F.jpeg

Leslie, I like it. 👍 It is similar to what Hilmar sold and still sells as Paph. wolterianum var. album which isn't in fact an album. I possess one which wanted to flower when it was too small so I cut off the bud.....since then she's been sulking, too.
Rudolf, this ‘Angel Wings’ is in fact from Hilmar that I got at Redlands 2019 when he was there. So yours and mine are siblings. But sorry to hear yours is sulking. They tend to do that lol.

The other two’s parentage are unknown at this point.

......... So yours and mine are siblings......
How funny, two siblings divided by the great pond. This happens in real life with plants as well as with human beings.
.........But sorry to hear yours is sulking. They tend to do that lol.
Leslie, let me relativise it to.....she's been growing very slowly but grows. But I won't complain because I purchased it by an ebay auction as a young plant for a more than reasonable prize.

But Leslie let us clear the name. Paph. wolterianum is a synonym of appletonianum. The real greenish forma of appletonianum has the name forma immaculatum and was described officially
Paphiopedilum appletonianum f. immaculatum (Braem) Braem, Orchidées Cult. Protect.: 36 (1998).
All other names are only trade names, like album, viride, virescens or so.
The colorform has no spots on the petals or other parts of the flower and a greenish spike.
So yours has no specific name.
Beside these greenish appletonianum with spots you can find other with greenish flower without spots but with brownish spike

But Leslie let us clear the name. Paph. wolterianum is a synonym of appletonianum. The real greenish forma of appletonianum has the name forma immaculatum and was described officially
Paphiopedilum appletonianum f. immaculatum (Braem) Braem, Orchidées Cult. Protect.: 36 (1998).
All other names are only trade names, like album, viride, virescens or so.
The colorform has no spots on the petals or other parts of the flower and a greenish spike.
So yours has no specific name.
Beside these greenish appletonianum with spots you can find other with greenish flower without spots but with brownish spike
It is quite interesting that these colour forms breed like albas where the warts are independently inherited while the rest of the floral anthocyanins in the rest of the flowers are repressed in hybridization (meaning no reds show in floral parts when bred to alba flowers in subsequent generations).

Latest posts

Back