Paphiopedilum wardii ‘Monster’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the nicest wardii I have seen. I wish I could flower them but they blast for me too many time so I got rid of them many years ago! They are real fast growers from flask and grow like weeds.

One of the nicest wardii I have seen. I wish I could flower them but they blast for me too many time so I got rid of them many years ago! They are real fast growers from flask and grow like weeds.
Thanks PM.

It is one of my favourite Paph species particularly the album form.

I too have blasted a precious bud last year (the solid black petal one) with too dry an atmosphere. So this year I switched to semi hydro and that seems to keep buds alive. They cannot dry out in root zone when blooming. That seems to be the secret for me. Try again!

Semi-hydro? Your pot looks like a regular pot with bark mix. Do you just have the pot just sitting in water? Can you post a pic of the pot?
Yes it sits in a little water (in plastic tray) after watering for 2-4 days. If too full I’ll drain till 0.5 cm level. And wait till roots almost dry before watering. This method you must watch carefully.

B6C4D488-C402-4896-A6B5-CE4DBC1C29C8.jpeg0BEBA010-EE18-416E-BC06-5E3A897D47D5.jpeg

My other wardii is also in semi water culture. It’s in larger pot so I use LECA clay pellets to prevent water touching organic bark. You can see the roots love to reach the water and a humid zone.

8A81306B-696C-4199-B4F4-9BA3E5C91370.jpegB1B19CFB-353E-4B47-8A40-AB6F73AE4308.jpeg

Latest posts

Back