Paphiopedilum wardii ‘Monster’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks Leslie.Flower is excellent but leaf pattern disturbes me, it is very different at wardiis.Another thing is not typicaI is rose end of petals.I feel I must face with the same problem what I can see at so called sanderianums although most of them are sanderianum x MK backcrossings.Any opinion?

Many thanks Leslie.Flower is excellent but leaf pattern disturbes me, it is very different at wardiis.Another thing is not typicaI is rose end of petals.I feel I must face with the same problem what I can see at so called sanderianums although most of them are sanderianum x MK backcrossings.Any opinion?
The leaves of wardii can range in pattern. Here below I show the various wardiis I have:

Wardii ‘Monster’

828D8053-C0E6-41E6-9C5E-8E953476FD64.jpeg

Wardii atrobrunneum

439C5195-822A-499A-87B8-84CD0FD3838E.jpeg

Wardii ‘Black Petal’

4CC0D251-1779-4928-A04A-4F75D0D3B4A1.jpeg

Wardii album

72C034EF-373E-40ED-B0A5-8F15BE6D2222.jpeg

As for pink in petals, based on lighting, they can reflect pink tones like the following wardiis on OrchidWiz.

09987B2C-475F-4CA6-B16F-017ED12C9DC4.jpeg

Furthermore, the staminode is unmistakable.

Looking at hybrids of wardii, you can see variations of pouch shape and petal angles that will differentiate them. The only species that can add to it with long petal length is sukhakulii but this flower doesn’t look to have the strong traits of sukhakulii.

Based on all these, I can safely say that it is indeed a wardii.

Last edited:
Heh... At least a couple of those wardii are mine. :) I would say that the flower is within the range of what I see for wardii, I've bloomed a lot and have an HCC, two AMs, and that FCC you are trying to knock off. Size is only 10 points though...

What is the most striking to me is the lessened amount of brown/red brown in the petals, many clones have darker backgrounds over 2/3 or more of the distal petal. I suspect what looks pink at the tips would look more typical if the color stretched up more proximally. A lot of room for personal opinion there. Some people like very dense, fine spotting and color in the petals, some people like a less dense pattern. It has a really nice pouch in my opinion. That is what I noticed first.

Heh... At least a couple of those wardii are mine. :) I would say that the flower is within the range of what I see for wardii, I've bloomed a lot and have an HCC, two AMs, and that FCC you are trying to knock off. Size is only 10 points though...

What is the most striking to me is the lessened amount of brown/red brown in the petals, many clones have darker backgrounds over 2/3 or more of the distal petal. I suspect what looks pink at the tips would look more typical if the color stretched up more proximally. A lot of room for personal opinion there. Some people like very dense, fine spotting and color in the petals, some people like a less dense pattern. It has a really nice pouch in my opinion. That is what I noticed first.
Your wardiis are pretty amazing. Mine can only aspire to be like your FCC.

I like all varieties of wardii so I try to find them in good form when I can. Not easy to get quality flowering ones for sale.

Last edited:
Not just big but great form and colour as well.

It is funny, I have two wardii's in flower and I am on the other side of the world. I wished mine looked like yours.

Not just big but great form and colour as well.

It is funny, I have two wardii's in flower and I am on the other side of the world. I wished mine looked like yours.
Thanks Emydura.

And how they sync Northern hemisphere bloom time with the Southern plants ... fascinating.

Also I'm curious now to see what your blooms look like?

Latest posts

Back