Paphiopedilum violescens

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paph Paradise

SlipperTalk Vendor
Reaction score
An unusual little species from New Guinea. These can be very challenging to grow. I have only seen one plant that wanted to hang on to its old growths. Most seem to lose the older growths as the new ones mature. Might have been the strain I was working with before. This strain seems to be very robust.
Since they receive over 100" of rain per year in their native habitat, we grow them in a well drained mix and water every other day when it is warm. We back off to twice per week in the winter and keep them on heat mats. Cold wet feet will surely rot the roots.

Sorry about the watermark. I will be doing this with every photo I put online going forward. Way too many of my pictures are getting used for ebay sales. If they would just ask for permission the answer would usually be yes, but I guess that's too much to expect.

Dave

Attachments

• violascens PP.jpg
    violascens PP.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 35
An unusual little species from New Guinea. These can be very challenging to grow. I have only seen one plant that wanted to hang on to its old growths. Most seem to lose the older growths as the new ones mature. Might have been the strain I was working with before. This strain seems to be very robust.
Since they receive over 100" of rain per year in their native habitat, we grow them in a well drained mix and water every other day when it is warm. We back off to twice per week in the winter and keep them on heat mats. Cold wet feet will surely rot the roots.

Sorry about the watermark. I will be doing this with every photo I put online going forward. Way too many of my pictures are getting used for ebay sales. If they would just ask for permission the answer would usually be yes, but I guess that's too much to expect.

Dave
Very nice flower. I had a bad experience years ago growing the closely related Paph. bougainvilleanum which was obtained from OZ at the price of $350.00 CAD and which arrived previously bloomed with only three leaves and old, mouldy substrate. Not surprisingly, the plant did not survive.
Nowadays the only way to obtain such plants in Canada is by ordering flasks which may or may not arrive in acceptable condition. C'est la vie!

Congratulations! Paph violascens is known to be a difficult one.......very rarely seen in cultivation

That's a very nice exemplar of this species. I know from my own experience they can be tricky and not easy to grow. So congrats!

Back