Paphiopedilum villosum var laichaunum ‘Joshua’ AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Them I suppose I have a laichaunum instead of annamense like the tag shows….🤔🤔🤔 what do you think Phred??

Attachments

• 256788B3-FFC7-4E28-9747-8FF109959C33.jpeg
    256788B3-FFC7-4E28-9747-8FF109959C33.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 17
Phred, this is another lovely P. villosum var. laichaunum in your collection. 👌 Congrats to the award !

Them I suppose I have a laichaunum instead of annamense like the tag shows….🤔🤔🤔 what do you think Phred??
I'm not Phred, but i think it as the way you supposed. You can see all P. villosum varieties here.

Phred, this is another lovely P. villosum var. laichaunum in your collection. 👌 Congrats to the award !

I'm not Phred, but i think it as the way you supposed. You can see all P. villosum varieties here.
Thank you for the info GuRu, now it’s clear for me 😊. I’m going to change the tag….

Them I suppose I have a laichaunum instead of annamense like the tag shows….🤔🤔🤔
Yes - it's difficult not to agree with that.
I think Sam (Tsui of Orchid Inn) contributed to the confusion by misnaming a plant, he used in breeding - and vicariously in Europe the late Boscha Popow did his bit by distributing some of the results of Sam's efforts over here!

Yes - it's difficult not to agree with that.
I think Sam (Tsui of Orchid Inn) contributed to the confusion by misnaming a plant, he used in breeding - and vicariously in Europe the late Boscha Popow did his bit by distributing some of the results of Sam's efforts over here!
The plant that I have comes from Schwerter, but sure it’s the results of the efforts you say. Thank you for the info!

What parents did this one come from? Gorgeous warm color just the way I like them! :)
This mine haven’t parents, well of course have, but I don’t know the cultivar. In tag only was written Paph. villosum var annamense

No comments on the variety but It is always nice to have any villosum in the collection. Nice!

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone.

Hello JLOG
Sorry for the long delay in a response... I started a new job that has left me with a lot less free time. I agree that your plant is not var annamense. You can see from the link GuRu attached above that var annamense would have a white halo on the dorsal sepal and yours does not. There are lots of villosum labeled var annamense that are not. The problem is what happens when someone crosses a var annamense with a miss labeled var laichaunum? I don’t know what that would look like but I’m sure they’re out there. Was there any cross info on your label?

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone.

Hello JLOG
Sorry for the long delay in a response... I started a new job that has left me with a lot less free time. I agree that your plant is not var annamense. You can see from the link GuRu attached above that var annamense would have a white halo on the dorsal sepal and yours does not. There are lots of villosum labeled var annamense that are not. The problem is what happens when someone crosses a var annamense with a miss labeled var laichaunum? I don’t know what that would look like but I’m sure they’re out there. Was there any cross info on your label?
No problem! Hope the new job doing well. Yes, with the Guru’s info there’s not doubt. But searching some information in the nursery’s web I have an idea that what was happend. The supplier have two kind of villosum, one of this is a annamense, and the other is a red villosum. I bought a annamense but the supplier sent me a red villosum. The plant was tagged wrong. Take a shoot screen of his web

Attachments

• 4A532834-C2EB-4A53-BD29-CC94B9DB6992.png
    4A532834-C2EB-4A53-BD29-CC94B9DB6992.png
    305 KB · Views: 12
No problem! Hope the new job doing well. Yes, with the Guru’s info there’s not doubt. But searching some information in the nursery’s web I have an idea that what was happend. The supplier have two kind of villosum, one of this is a annamense, and the other is a red villosum. I bought a annamense but the supplier sent me a red villosum. The plant was tagged wrong. Take a shoot screen of his web
JLOG
The plant shown as var. annamense in the vendors screen shot you attached looks like it may be miss labeled also. That flower looks more like var fusco-roseum. I’d love to find some of those available in the states.

Latest posts

Back