Paphiopedilum villosum var. boxallii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep......I sent in the seeds....my babies are doing OK...no growth yet, but they are still alive!

I got a flask a couple of weeks ago from your seed pod Eric and I have one booked from the seed pod tocarmar sent in....just wondering as both arrived with the seed pod already on the plants if there is any question whether these seed pods are sib/selfings?

Todd

Todd,
I won it on e-bay with the pod already formed on it. The seller i got it from said he noticed the pod forming in his greenhouse. Most likely it is a selfing.

Tom

Thanks Tom....I had thought that I had read on a post here that both of them came from the same forum member....thanks for the correction

Todd

Mine also had the pod on it. I informed Troy when I offered it that there was a possibility that the pollen parent was not boxalii. The plant spiked last fall, but the bud blasted, so no pictures. Its grown well, but hasn't spiked this year, at least yet.

Tom & Eric,
Here is one of the parent
BD
vllovarbox.jpg

Looks like one of the gratrixianum from Sa Pa type... Very beautiful anyway...

Boxallii grows completely mixed with gratrixianum by the way in Sa Pa-Lai Chau area, and it nearly NEVER makes natural hybrids. The clumps by themselves can be composed of a few of each in fact...

Hello Xavier...

Would you have any in-situ photos of these two species, in flower, side-by-side?

Here's an update on the "boxalli" seedlings I got from Troy, from the pod I sent. They are growing well, but as they grow, the leaves are showing distinct but faint tesselation. I'll have to wait and see how they appear as they grow further, but at this point I highly doubt that the pod I sent was an accidental selfing. Has anyone else with these seedlings seen the same thing? If not then its just my culture.....Baodai, any ideas?

Eric,
My seedlings are growing well,too-several are growing a new leaf.
I've noticed that the larger villosum seedling leaves are now showing very faint areas of increased pigment, like just a hint of faint mottling. It is very subtle and I have to look closely to see it.

Latest posts

Back