Quantcast

Paphiopedilum villosum var. boxallii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Renegayde

Reaction score
WoW those went pretty fast.......there is also this one
http://troymeyers.com/direct/?016756

some one chime in here if I am incorrect but as I recall both of these plants came from the same forum member here and both seed pods were havested by the forum members who received them.....Eric Muehlbauer and tocarmar

E

Eric Muehlbauer

Yep......I sent in the seeds....my babies are doing OK...no growth yet, but they are still alive!

Renegayde

Reaction score
I got a flask a couple of weeks ago from your seed pod Eric and I have one booked from the seed pod tocarmar sent in....just wondering as both arrived with the seed pod already on the plants if there is any question whether these seed pods are sib/selfings?

Todd

tocarmar

Reaction score
Todd,
I won it on e-bay with the pod already formed on it. The seller i got it from said he noticed the pod forming in his greenhouse. Most likely it is a selfing.

Tom

Renegayde

Reaction score
Thanks Tom....I had thought that I had read on a post here that both of them came from the same forum member....thanks for the correction

Todd

E

Eric Muehlbauer

Mine also had the pod on it. I informed Troy when I offered it that there was a possibility that the pollen parent was not boxalii. The plant spiked last fall, but the bud blasted, so no pictures. Its grown well, but hasn't spiked this year, at least yet.

baodai

Reaction score
Tom & Eric,
Here is one of the parent
BD

Roth

Reaction score
Looks like one of the gratrixianum from Sa Pa type... Very beautiful anyway...

Boxallii grows completely mixed with gratrixianum by the way in Sa Pa-Lai Chau area, and it nearly NEVER makes natural hybrids. The clumps by themselves can be composed of a few of each in fact...

Lance Birk

Reaction score
Hello Xavier...

Would you have any in-situ photos of these two species, in flower, side-by-side?

E

Eric Muehlbauer

Here's an update on the "boxalli" seedlings I got from Troy, from the pod I sent. They are growing well, but as they grow, the leaves are showing distinct but faint tesselation. I'll have to wait and see how they appear as they grow further, but at this point I highly doubt that the pod I sent was an accidental selfing. Has anyone else with these seedlings seen the same thing? If not then its just my culture.....Baodai, any ideas?

E

etex

Eric,
My seedlings are growing well,too-several are growing a new leaf.
I've noticed that the larger villosum seedling leaves are now showing very faint areas of increased pigment, like just a hint of faint mottling. It is very subtle and I have to look closely to see it.

Latest posts