Paphiopedilum villosum var. annamense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So update... nine months later this plant is reblooming. About the same size with deeper color compared to the first bloom. I’m surprised it’s doing it in summer and not late fall as most do. Not complaining though...

Presenting Paphiopedilum villosum var laichaunum ‘Web of Lies’ denoting the numerous versions (formas and variations) it had to go through before final classification.

D302EA6E-4E12-4314-B294-F8F165C851FE.jpeg6088EF5F-F52C-49CF-A548-882EA35BFEC9.jpeg4AD27AF2-4A30-4934-8B14-B1B3C39C4886.jpeg63CAD82D-A444-459A-87AC-10D130937047.jpeg

Hi,
(My first post . . ., not sure about how to upload images, sorry). Based on this thread, it appears that my Paph. villosum is not fma. amnamense, notwithstanding the tag. On a positive note, it has a spread of 10.8 cm and this plant gave me two flowers on its second bloom.
View attachment 17899 View attachment 17900
Somehow I missed this post.

Nice bloom Kate (belated congrats) and welcome (belated again LOL).

Hi Leslie
Congratulations on the reblooming. I’ve got several in bud right now. Also, it’s taken me a couple years to get my villosum, awarded as var. anamense in 2018, re-classified as var. laichaunum. It took the first year for me to get the AOS to accept laichaunum as a variety after I provided all the available literature to them. Now after a number of emails this year they have changed my award to Paph villosum var laichaunum ‘Lily’ HCC/AOS. I just received the corrected award certificate last Thursday.

Hi Leslie
Congratulations on the reblooming. I’ve got several in bud right now. Also, it’s taken me a couple years to get my villosum, awarded as var. anamense in 2018, re-classified as var. laichaunum. It took the first year for me to get the AOS to accept laichaunum as a variety after I provided all the available literature to them. Now after a number of emails this year they have changed my award to Paph villosum var laichaunum ‘Lily’ HCC/AOS. I just received the corrected award certificate last Thursday.
Finally! Thanks for your perseverance that subsequent same type will be judged correctly under this variety. I hope your Lily reblooms even better to get rescored, ideally to the AM it deserves.

So update... nine months later this plant is reblooming. About the same size with deeper color compared to the first bloom. I’m surprised it’s doing it in summer and not late fall as most do. Not complaining though...

Presenting Paphiopedilum villosum var laichaunum ‘Web of Lies’ denoting the numerous versions (formas and variations) it had to go through before final classification.

View attachment 21569View attachment 21570View attachment 21571View attachment 21572
Loving the name! Ha ha ha.

View attachment 21569View attachment 21570View attachment 21571View attachment 21572
Beautiful bloom

It's really a great clone, Leslie! With almost chameleonlike propensities: here the lip/ slipper is darker; there the slipper with an all most pastellike quality and the dorsal centrally, very darkly coloured. Very nice, and very interesting!

Ps. I'm a bit loss, whether I should wish you a Merry Christmas - or if a Happy Holidays would be the more appropriate address? (I know Indonesia is predominantly muslim - but I wonder, what denomination most Borneans belong to: Islam, Buddhism and/or something third?!)

Last edited:
Thanks Jen’s, it’s a nice reliable clone that blooms every year. What more can I ask for?

Malaysia is mostly Islamic but I’m a non-denominational ‘agnostician’ lol (Catholic school trained hehe).

Malaysia is mostly Islamic but I’m a non-denominational ‘agnostician’ lol (Catholic school trained hehe).
Sorry, Leslie, for putting my foot in my mouth by confusing the nationality of the different parts of Borneo!

If I had to label my own stance, it would be equally confusing. Basically taoist/buddhist (but more with respect to a philosophical tradition and when it comes to everyday practice), and I think my position when the discussion turns to the religious sphere might be exactly the same as yours: non-denominational agnosticism with a faint leaning towards an enlightened catholicism (Vatican II - and without the distorted sexual moral).
So: Happy holidays from one DA to another! 🎄

Latest posts

Back