Paphiopedilum villosum in situ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cxcanh

Reaction score
Very good informative for many Paph grower: This species not grow on the grow as I saw in this trip, 100% grow in the tree.

1CXC_2276.jpg

1CXC_2229.jpg

1CXC_2234.jpg

Thank you for the nice photos! How high from the ground do they grow? It looks more compact (shorter leaves) than when it's grown in pots. Is it the typical size?

Thank you for the nice photos! How high from the ground do they grow? It looks more compact (shorter leaves) than when it's grown in pots. Is it the typical size?

From 10 to 20m, you just see some short leave but infarct they have long leave as usual. This is typical size,

Thank you for the additional info! So I guess you climbed up quite a bit. I remember that you mentioned that you fell down from a cliff or tree during the orchid photo hunt!

Thank you for the additional info! So I guess you climbed up quite a bit. I remember that you mentioned that you fell down from a cliff or tree during the orchid photo hunt!

:) ! On Facebook can be seen a pic showing the Photographer with his camera stuff sitting on the tree :)! Quite risky!! Maybe you should post that pic here Canh!? Jean

Very intersesting pictures!

Is this the plant one can buy as leichauense at orchids and more?

Very informative. And that is a very beautiful flower.
I would love to have a villosum with such flower.

I've read field notes saying villosum being typically found 5-10 m above the ground but 20m is very high.

The plant in the photo does look very small.

Thank you for the photos.

Yes, I have to climbed up and this tree is lowest one that have a blooming paph. I fell one time and my leg still not recover 100% yet (and will be never..)

:) ! On Facebook can be seen a pic showing the Photographer with his camera stuff sitting on the tree :)! Quite risky!! Maybe you should post that pic here Canh!? Jean

It is quite risky, yes, very...but If I want to have a photo I have to take ...abit risk...

Place where I seat a bout 10m above ground.

1IMG_9943.jpg

I must say that you are a crazy orchid fan. And I mean it in a positive way. How did you spot this little guy high up there?

Interesting. Apparently it wants drier conditions than many Paphs.

I don't think so.
Maybe he can confirm, but one field note I read regarding their habitat mentioned how wet the conditions are: frequent rain and fog, high humidity, early morning dews...plus look at all that thick layer of moss and other orchids and plants growing at the root level.

Anyhow, 10 m up in the tree with slippery moss and algae growing, you are very brave.

Smart idea to tie yourself to the tree. :)

I must say that you are a crazy orchid fan. And I mean it in a positive way. How did you spot this little guy high up there?

Yes, most of real orchid lover here somehow crazy in different ways I must say. We have binocular to check whatever we think or concern related...orchid in our ways.

Latest posts

Back