Paphiopedilum villosum f. laichauense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vandacee

Reaction score
Paphiopedilum villosum f. laichauense

villosum_laichauense1.jpg

villosum_laichauense2.jpg

Very nice colouring of the flower!

This form comes from Lai Châu, northwestern province of Vietnam
Concerning determining the plant botanically I wonder, if it, strictly speaking, not just would be included in: P. villosum var. annamense?

I guess, it might be a bit difficult to get to the bottom of the matter, as we probably, would run into the taxonomic war between 'spreaders' and 'gatherers'! :D

Maybe a viable alternative could be:
P. villosum var. annamense fma. laichauense (hort.)?

Very nice colouring of the flower!

Concerning determining the plant botanically I wonder, if it, strictly speaking, not just would be included in: P. villosum var. annamense?

I guess, it might be a bit difficult to get to the bottom of the matter, as we probably, would run into the taxonomic war between 'spreaders' and 'gatherers'! :D

Maybe a viable alternative could be:
P. villosum var. annamense fma. laichauense (hort.)?

Yes, I agree !

These flowers are lovely and have an intense maroon colouration, the plant is well grown and last but not least - the photos show it from its best side - congrats.

Yes, just villosum !
annamense has white in the dorsal :
http://www.slipperorchids.info/paphdatasheets/paphiopedilum/villosum/index.html
http://bluenanta.com/natural/147306/species_detail/
William Cavestro confirms in a French book :
" La variété annamense se différencie par un sépale dorsal blanc avec une tache centrale violet-pourpre "

in that case, I think Chuck Acker's awarded plant is actually the type from the Lai Chau subgroup (Lai Chau is a province in North western VietNam)
By the way Annam is the old word the 5th century chinese Tang dynasty used to call VietNam.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back