paphiopedilum villosum anamense album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hakone, that's a lovely flower and congrats to your friend. But please enlighten me.....what distinguishes Paph. villosum album from Paph. villosum var. anamense album??

As far as I know, 4 different villosum varieties album was found in Vietnam:

- paphiopedilum villosum var. boxallii album ( Photo 1)
- paphiopedilum villosum var. laichauense album ( Photo 2 )
- paphiopedilum villosum var annamense album ( Photo 3 )
- papiopedilum villosum var. sinh ho album ( Photo 4 )

53055667_2190212777702512_8772127456883638272_n.jpg
87479808_2944021572324639_2429154376435105792_n.jpg
laichauense.jpg
villosum album.jpg
villosum 05-00832.jpg

Last edited:
here are the normal forms

sinh Ho 1.jpgv2.jpgV3.jpgv4.jpg

Last edited:
paphiopedilum villosum var. boxallii and var. annamense come from South Viet Nam , Da Lat

paphiopedilum villosum var. laichauense and var. sinh ho come from North Viet Nam , Sinh Ho ; Lai Chau

according Liu Zhongjian and Chen Singchi in the genus paphiopedilum in China :
- paphiopedilum villosum var. boxallii
- paphiopedilum villosum var. densissimum ( Albino form is not found yet )
- paphiopedilum villosum var. villosum
- paphiopedilum villosum var. annamense

As far as I know, 4 different villosum varieties album was found in Vietnam:

- paphiopedilum villosum var. boxallii album ( Photo 1)
- paphiopedilum villosum var. laichauense album ( Photo 2 )
- paphiopedilum villosum var annamense album ( Photo 3 )
- papiopedilum villosum var. sinh ho album ( Photo 4 ).........

First of all Tai, all these shown flowers are lovely and real eye catchers......but I'm sceptical if this classification of album forms/varieties can withstand under taxonomical aspects. In my eyes these all are just P. villosum forma album or aureum.
The regularly coloured varieties of P. villosum distinguish by few features but the main feature is the colouration and the colour patterns of the flower. These traits are missing in the album/aureum forms. Therefore it should be impossible to separate 4 different varieties of album/aureum.
Just my thoughts. Furthermore clarification would be nice.

First of all Tai, all these shown flowers are lovely and real eye catchers......but I'm sceptical if this classification of album forms/varieties can withstand under taxonomical aspects. In my eyes these all are just P. villosum forma album or aureum.
The regularly coloured varieties of P. villosum distinguish by few features but the main feature is the colouration and the colour patterns of the flower. These traits are missing in the album/aureum forms. Therefore it should be impossible to separate 4 different varieties of album/aureum.
Just my thoughts. Furthermore clarification would be nice.

The same taxonomy problem as paphiopedilum helenae and paphiopedilum henryanum.

paphiopedilum helenae, paphiopedilum helenae album, paphiopedilum helenae aureum, paphiopedilum helenae delicatum

paphiopedilum henryanum, paphiopedilum henryanum album, paphiopedilum henryanum var. christae

Last edited:
If these were presented to a judging panel, it would be hard pressed to prove without a reasonable doubt which album species it is of the varieties of gratrixianum and villosums.

As Guru noted, it is the colors and markings of the normal type flowers that differentiate the various varieties from each other. In albums, these markings/colors are absent, so it cannot be judged as indicated by label. Also the new album forms of villosums are not described nor distributed for study to confirm their identity, yet.

Who knows? It might happen as Hakone predicted.

If these were presented to a judging panel, it would be hard pressed to prove without a reasonable doubt which album species it is of the varieties of gratrixianum and villosums.

As Guru noted, it is the colors and markings of the normal type flowers that differentiate the various varieties from each other. In albums, these markings/colors are absent, so it cannot be judged as indicated by label. Also the new album forms of villosums are not described nor distributed for study to confirm their identity, yet.

Who knows? It might happen as Hakone predicted.

I posted this thread in Facebook Groups , British Paphiopedilum Society Facebook Groups. To date no taxonomy report, Covid 19 danger… all Coryphaeus have disappeared without a trace: Harold Kopowitz, Guido Braem, Olaf Gruss, Xavier de Loubresse, Phillip Cribb

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back