Paphiopedilum vietnamiense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudy.maex

Reaction score
Unfortunately the flowers of this Paph last only for about 7 days so I have to enjoy them whilst they are there....

Attachments

• P1000209.JPG
    P1000209.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 52
  • P1000210.JPG
    P1000210.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 45
Thanks for letting me know.
I feel kind of relieved to learn it's not an orchid of which I read in the meantime it's supposedly critically endangered in the wild.

Definitely HCM. Nice one though!

I have grown quite a few vietnamense. They are pretty difficult, although the most recent batch of two I have from Taiwan does pretty well.

I believe a lot of plants with the vietnamense label are either Ho Chi Min or, Ho Chi Min x vietnamense.

So I have three criteria to know if a plant of vietnamense is the straight species:

1) it dies after blooming
2) the flower either always blasts or never opens fully
3) the staminode does not have red color in it

Here are my current two clones:

Last edited:
Definitely HCM. Nice one though!

I have grown quite a few vietnamense. They are pretty difficult, although the most recent batch of two I have from Taiwan does pretty well.

I believe a lot of plants with the vietnamense label are either Ho Chi Min or, Ho Chi Min x vietnamense.

So I have three criteria to know if a plant of vietnamense is the straight species:

1) it dies after blooming
2) the flower either always blasts or never opens fully
3) the staminode does not have red color in it

Here are my current two clones:

Oh gosh Justin, you kill me lol.

I bloomed one and blasted one, so I fit 2/3 criteria. I have not killed one yet but still early in my vietnamense species experience. So please hold. I still have 6 large babies to raise 😥.

Mine blast 3 buds of 4 for years now. It's anoying but at least it seems to be a true one...

Here are photos of my vietnamense the last time it bloomed.........December, 2018!!! It bloomed for the first time in early 2017 and then nothing since the second bloom. It began to decline after that so I repotted it into Orchiata/perlite/charcoal last year and it perked up. It appears to be growing well now but is taking its time. Definitely has a mind of its own!

Attachments

• BABB8BC4-153C-4A38-AEF2-23AAA69A099F.jpeg
    BABB8BC4-153C-4A38-AEF2-23AAA69A099F.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 10
  • D234F816-1ED4-4108-9B24-74EE02F43C3A.jpeg
    D234F816-1ED4-4108-9B24-74EE02F43C3A.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back