Paphiopedilum vietnamense ‘Purple Lantern’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hien, I think I you’re right. I need to rename this one. Any suggestions folks?
just a suggestion, maybe a name with "Imperial Purple" , "royal purple" in it , this color was very rare in the ancient world, also known by other names such as Tyrian purple, Tyrian red, Phoenician red, Phoenician purple , according to some source, it took 250,000 snails to produce 1 tablespoon of the dye

and if you want to hint of the paph Vietnamense's origin as a vietnamese slipper orchid, girls from Huế, the royal capital in central Vietnam, known to love to wear purple long dress called "Áo Dài tím " , many songs and poems were written about Hue's girls in their purple long dress .
There is a delenatii called "Miss Saigon" ,
perhaps this one could be vietnamense "Huế's Girl"

Last edited:
In 2 days!!! Wish me luck!
The only kind of luck your splendiferous vietnamense needs IMHO is, that the judges ain't blind or blockheads and stubborn. And/or that you do not damage the plant during transportation! 🤞🤞🤞

One valid point of discusssion, though, as to how high it reaches, might be the form of the dorsal. Some might prefer a wider dorsal with a more rounded upper part, that could be considered giving the overall form of the flower a more harmonious look. Even if that's your concern, its other excellent features ought to secure it a well deserved award❣

Last edited:
Nice job… how long flowers lasted?
I try to keep good records but I neglected to record how long the first one lasted. A first, single, bloom opened 4/27/2022 and I know it dropped before the next opened. The second and third blooms opened in May (forgot to record the day) and the last bloom dropped on 6/11. No fragrance that we could detect.

Just an updated, this plant has been renamed to 'Halo Be They Name' and received an award the past weekend with an AM of 82 points from the AOS (Toronto monthly judging). It was posted under the Judging section.

....this plant has been renamed to 'Halo Be They Name'...
I suppose a small typo sneaked into the clonal name, as I guess 'Halo be thy name' is what you meant.
I.e. a slight pun - spun on either "Hallowed be thy name" from the Lord's Prayer, or the Iron Maiden number by the identical name:
Congrats on the well deserved award!

I suppose a small typo sneaked into the clonal name, as I guess 'Halo be thy name' is what you meant.
I.e. a slight pun - spun on either "Hallowed be thy name" from the Lord's Prayer, or the Iron Maiden number by the identical name:
Congrats on the well deserved award!

Yes typo lol… ‘Thy’ is correct.

I’m referencing to a prayer for the impossibility to happen… aka, to keep alive, to bloom it, and to get it awarded ahaha.

I also just sib cross it with vietnamense ‘Claret’ AM/AOS, courtesy of pollen from PaphParadise. Claret has a dark pouch like Halo but wider and flatter form (got an 87 point AM!!). Should have dark pouch ‘chids lol. So asking for another miracle for pods to develop ahaha.

Latest posts

Back