Paphiopedilum vexillarium (barbatum x fairrieanum)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarioQ

Reaction score
I read it was the Paphiopedilum second hybrid in the history of this genre (1870) I bought it in bud not sure what to expect in this crossing from barbatum and fairrieanum. I think it is a nice one! I like the colors, the overall harmony of the plant, its leaves and indeed the fairrieanum outline.

Attachments

• 5BA873A3-2655-421A-95E4-621BD3A67CE7.jpeg
    5BA873A3-2655-421A-95E4-621BD3A67CE7.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 7210432A-1F54-4FE8-A707-354455EF6C18.jpeg
    7210432A-1F54-4FE8-A707-354455EF6C18.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 26
Just a little info on terminology: if a man made hybrid, then both the genus and the species names are written with a capital, first letter. In casu: Paphiopedilum Vexillarium.
Naturally occuring hybrids are designated as in the following examples: Paphiopedilum x lushuiense (spicerianum x villosum, Paphiopedilum x wenshanense (concolor x bellatulum), Paphiopedilum x vietenryanum (henryanum x gratrixianum), and so forth.

But beware the latter principle is only applied to verified, naturally occuring hybrids - manmade hybrids of the same croses bear respectively the name Paphiopedilum Lathamianum (x lushuiense), P. Concobellatulum (x wenshanense), and the Perners (Hengduan Biotechnology) made a manmade replica with a twist of the last cross, P. New Vietenryanum (henryanum x gratrixianum var. daoense).

This of course raises the question of how to distinguish between plants, that are manmade and natural hybrids? Well, I think, in (almost?) most cases you can't, that is unless you have clearcut evidence of proveniens. Nobody said it should be easy to be a hobby-orchidist! 😁

Last edited:
Back