Paphiopedilum venustum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very pretty! Mine curls the petals as it matures. hmmm...I wonder if venustum does curl the petals....

Last edited:
Very pretty! Mine curls the petals as it matures. hmmm...I wonder if venustum does curl the petals....
Usually the petals reflex back once the flower is fully open. Only select clones stay flat, like P. venustum 'Marjorie'. I suspect many such clones actually have some hybrid blood in them. Some very nice venustum hybrids can easily be mistaken for venustum but have enhanced colour and form with petals that stay flat.

This is a lovely species. Worth it for the leaves, which is good cause I haven't bloomed mine yet. I actually have two blooming size (one alba and one type), which are both starting a new leaf. The peak blooming season (Northern Hemisphere) is not till January so I am still hopeful for blooms this season. One of the two I've had for a few years and this will be the first bloom chance since I changed my Paph culture. Previously I was growing warmer and dryer and the last three spikes aborted. Fingers crossed!

Latest posts

Back