Paphiopedilum venustum forma measuresianum and others..

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kavanaru

Today, I went to visit a friend of mine, who owns a Paphiopedilum nursery (this is in his family since more than 75 years ago)... as always, we had a very nice and long conversation about plants, politics, and many other thing... (and, as always, I spent several hours with him in the greenhouses - slowly, I am starting to think his wife will declare me "persona non grata" :D)

The greenhouses look great at this time, with several hundreds of plants in bloom... Of course, I could not resist and came back with a gorgeous Paph venustum. To be honest, I'd never thought I would ever buy this species, as it has never been one of my favorites. Until today that I had for the first time an album in front of me :drool:
Paphiopedilum venustum forma measuresianum on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Paphiopedilum venustum forma measuresianum on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

he had another Paph venustum with quite small flowers, about half the size of the "standard" ones, but somehow a very cute plant
Paphiopedilum venustum on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

also many blooming Paph tranlienianum
Paphiopedilum tranlienianum on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and here is where I almost went mad... I tried everything that came to my mind to convince him to sell me this plant, after he explained it was the only one he has, I did my best to convince him to sell me a division... but no way, I could not (YET! :evil: )
Paphiopedilum tranlienianum var alboviride on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

same as above, I will keep insisting and begging for a division of this other (the whole plant is not taller than 45 cm/18", with a leave span of not more than 30 cm/12")
Paphiopedilum Gary Romagna on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and I was also "deeply touched" ;) by this clon of Paph Bryan
Paphiopedilum Bryan on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (however, not in my wish list :poke:)

I also had the pleasure to see first hand (even if not my favorite species)
Paphiopedilum insigne forma sanderianum on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Paphiopedilum insigne forma sanderianum 2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Enjoy ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely ;) BTW, the nursery is in Switzerland... Popow-Orchideen is in Wolfsburg (Germany), about 700 Kms away from Basel.. not the place to go for the afternoon on a boring friday :)

thanks for these great picts.!!! I esp. like the albino form of tranlienianum and Gary Romagna!! Jean

Where did you say, the nursery is situated in switzerland ?(see thread of tazman!)

thanks for these great picts.!!! I esp. like the albino form of tranlienianum and Gary Romagna!! Jean

Where did you say, the nursery is situated in switzerland ?(see thread of tazman!)

Hi Jean, can you please post the link to that thread? I am not sure whether I found the thread you mean...

BTW, the nursery is situated in Gelterkinden, near basel.

Hi Jean, can you please post the link to that thread? I am not sure whether I found the thread you mean...

BTW, the nursery is situated in Gelterkinden, near basel.

I had a visit to their site. They do have a lot of interesting plants, but no prices!!??

Jean

no, your are right... that's a funny thing with them... I think Paph is more his hobby now, and they sell paphs only on request. They indeed sell some at the shop, but more for the housewife who wants a nice plant for decoration... If you are really interested in a special plant, you need to speak to the owner, and discuss with him about the plants, check if he has any available, and he will let you know the price... ;)

Hi Kavanaru, you show us lovely blooms and particularly P. tranlinianum f. alboviride and P. insigne f. saderianum are rare ones and stunning.

well, that would not be a problem ;) you know, there is no speed limits in Germany... it's not rare to see a car at 200 Kmh in german highways ;)

You use the term highway instead of autobahn and that's slightly confusing. Of course there's a 100 km/h speed limit on highways / country roads. The lack of a speed limit concerns only German autobahns /freeways / motorways. There's just a recommended speed of 130 km/h. Due to the fuel prices more and more driver drive more slowly to save fuel here in Germany.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

:drool: :drool: :smitten: :smitten: I'll take any one of them! Preferably one of each!!! What a day you had, thanks for sharing!

You use the term highway instead of autobahn and that's slightly confusing. Of course there's a 100 km/h speed limit on highways / country roads. The lack of a speed limit concerns only German autobahns /freeways / motorways. There's just a recommended speed of 130 km/h. Due to the fuel prices more and more driver drive more slowly to save fuel here in Germany.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

ok, I take it ;) For me a Highway has always been the same as a Freeway, expressway, and all of it same as "Autobahn" :) just checked in webster, and indeed, highway can also be a country road (did not know that!).

As per recommended speed, I absolutely agree with that, howvere, you still find many BMW-Raser, who do not care about recommendations and drive at 200 kmh (I was talking about them... ;))

It sure does look like you had a great day! Those are some wonderful photos!

I bought venustum simply because its leaf pattern was so pretty - still waiting for my seedlings to bloom, though... so will have to keep enjoying the leaves. Thanks for sharing the photos of your's - I'll bring mine to the computer so it can see what its supposed to do!

Latest posts

Back