Paphiopedilum vejvarutianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another question: what about comparing lockianum with these two?
P. coccineum is according to Averyanov, Cribb et al. synonymous with P. barbigerum var. lockianum. They find this plant better placed as a variety within the general concept of barbigerum, and I think they argue their case pretty convincingly.
Not everybody agrees, though (naturally, I was inclined to say) and considers P. coccineum a full good species in itself. I've even seen people simultaneously operating with and distinguishing between P. coccineum and P. barbigerum var. lockianum - the first thing that comes to mind here is, that they might have acquired the plants in question from different providers, that have adhered to either of the above "schools"!

P. coccineum is according to Averyanov, Cribb et al. synonymous with P. barbigerum var. lockianum. They find this plant better placed as a variety within the general concept of barbigerum, and I think they argue their case pretty convincingly.
Not everybody agrees, though (naturally, I was inclined to say) and considers P. coccineum a full good species in itself. I've even seen people simultaneously operating with and distinguishing between P. coccineum and P. barbigerum var. lockianum - the first thing that comes to mind here is, that they might have acquired the plants in question from different providers, that have adhered to either of the above "schools"!
There is a problem that causes confusion with Paphs once considered a variety of a species and then separated out and given species status themselves. It has to do with breeders making crosses between the species and the "variety" of a species previously and believing the result of the cross is the species. As an example this has happened between malipoensis and jackii. That cross is registered as Paph Marie Ponse. How many exist as malipoensis that are actually Marie Ponse? I see Paph coccineum that look like they were the result of a barbigerum x coccineum cross.

Fred, what is the difference between this and coccineum in your opinion?
Hi Leslie,
AOS SITF just verified the award I got on this vejvarutianum in September. Through the process I learned of a new characteristic used to determine if it is definitely vejvarutianum. Paphiopedilum vejvarutianum leaves are unequally bilobed apically.
103E3AD8-39E9-452E-BC86-018387FE9609.jpeg

Thanks for the interesting info on this leaf characteristic. I just went to check my coccineum leaves with a flashlight and it didn't have this trait. I will post the flower soon as it just opened (as well as the tip of the leaves).

Latest posts

Back