Paphiopedilum umatilla

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mprodanov

Reaction score
Hi there. Does anyone know where I can get more culture information on this? I was told to keep it wet. Somehow I don’t think it likes it wet. I took out the spagnum dressing and trying to keep it dryer. The leaves look like they are blistering and the spike completely rotted a month ago. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 5847F7C6-50A7-4EBF-B081-999C2B61E447.jpeg
    5847F7C6-50A7-4EBF-B081-999C2B61E447.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 31
  • ED14624E-77DD-44B1-8D4A-A59B3BA426DC.jpeg
    ED14624E-77DD-44B1-8D4A-A59B3BA426DC.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 31
The plant looks a bit stressed.
No to sphagnum moss!
It looks like its in some sort of bark mix. Probably water twice a week. Plenty of air movement.
It would help if we know where you lived and your growing environment.

That’s what I thought. I did remove the spagnum. Im in Ontario, Canada. I grow so many different paphs, this is why I’m stumped on this one. It has a ton of air movement! It’s in fir bark mixed with perlite, sponge and charcoal.

Yes I do! Rothchilianum just finished flowering. Philippinense, stonei and dianthum album to name a few. All on southern exposure with a sheer. All fed 20 20 20 fertilizer in bloom and 4-4-4 organic. when not in bloom. Limestone and calcium are added and kelp every 2 weeks. My ph level is 6.2. Constant air movement. The only paph I killed was nivieum so far lol. This plant came to me this way. Trying to save it but I’m not so sure. Yes Kant leaves are so yellow I think it was exposed to direct light and perhaps the spagnum made the spike rot.

So really cause I’m not able to find information on this cross, im thinking I need to treat it the same as my others. Normal paph culture. The only one I treat differently is delenati. I let it dry out a bit more than the rest and all do amazingly well.

Do NOT keep that plant wet. Multiflorals need good drainage and do not like wet feet.
Repot the plant, trim off any dead roots and treat it like your other multiflorals. This plant looks like the roots might be dying.
Dave

Thanks I repotted it. Roots looked okay. Couple black but all in all looks fine. I hope it recups quickly.

You could try reducing feeding for a month, adding to the first fertilizer mixture in next month 1 ml of Vit. B1 per gallon.

Back