paphiopedilum tigrinum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaindelonhj

Reaction score
I have not logged in this forum for almost 1 year, but a prank successfully initiated by a friend in real life made me log in here again. This time I would like to share my paphiopedilum tigrinum. It bloomed 2 or 3 weeks ago. I like the shape and color of the flower when it just opened it’s bud. It looked cuter. Now it’s still beautiful, but the greenish tone faded bit. I bought a flower sized plant from Popow in Germany end of this February, and the potting mix is 2:1 soil and perlite. After 3 months, the root has been well-established already. I hope you like this paphi and it’s flower.

Attachments

• 448A33AF-4A5F-4749-8535-DBD38A73650C.jpeg
    448A33AF-4A5F-4749-8535-DBD38A73650C.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 3F5A9BE4-CA47-4105-A5AF-D5E086FF4DB6.jpeg
    3F5A9BE4-CA47-4105-A5AF-D5E086FF4DB6.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 45
Every Paph. tigrinum is a great sight and so is yours.....even if the flower's got its best days behind. Good luck with your plant. 👍

I also like every tigrinum. The combination of color and markings are awesome in this species. Thanks for sharing!
I would really know more about your potting mix. Soil could be so different, loamy, sandy, Humus... Which Kind do you use.
Can you make photos from on top of your pods and from lateral? Would be great, thanks.

I also like every tigrinum. The combination of color and markings are awesome in this species. Thanks for sharing!
I would really know more about your potting mix. Soil could be so different, loamy, sandy, Humus... Which Kind do you use.
Can you make photos from on top of your pods and from lateral? Would be great, thanks.
Hi Martin,

I simply use the soil for houseplants from a garden center (intratuin in the Netherlands). I think the main ingredients are peat and peat moss for the soil based on the package. Then I simply mix it evenly with perlite (1: 2 perlite and soil). The bottom of the pot is lime stone since it’s good source of calcium.Since paphis are terrestrial so it’s very safe to use this soil mix. I live in NL where indoor temperature is low but humidity is pretty high. This soil mix works very well for paphi and phrag to grow roots. For paphi it works especially good, but for phrag it could give a bit mold if there are some organic materials in the soil (like bark if it’s not cleaned perfectly from the original pot mix). The benefit of such pot mix is that you don’t need to water it so often and you can simply treat it as a houseplant. The disadvantage of it is that it’s a good source of fungus gnaps, but if you put a carnivorous plant next to it it’s fine.

The photos

Attachments

• 9B702B55-4308-45DA-9CA9-F78F6EA24176.jpeg
    9B702B55-4308-45DA-9CA9-F78F6EA24176.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 221372B6-AE80-455C-A81C-E26303BD3FCB.jpeg
    221372B6-AE80-455C-A81C-E26303BD3FCB.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 26
  • A4C5B947-35E7-4163-94D0-372BA74467ED.jpeg
    A4C5B947-35E7-4163-94D0-372BA74467ED.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 8115419F-F3D8-44B9-A23B-4539AEAA8357.jpeg
    8115419F-F3D8-44B9-A23B-4539AEAA8357.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 25
Thanks Alain for your detailed answer! It helps to understand your system much better. Perhaps i will try it with a sample plant. An advantage of your soil could be the peat, because a lot paphs are growing naturally in leaf litter which is also slightly sour. I am surprised that they like the high amount of fertilizer which is usually inside common soil for houseplants.

I think this soil mix will kill roots.But it is just my own opinion.Anyways congrats on blooming.One of the greatest paphiopedilum species.

I think this soil mix will kill roots.But it is just my own opinion.Anyways congrats on blooming.One of the greatest paphiopedilum species.
Thanks. To the contrary, the soil mix stimulates root growth based on my 2,5 years experience. I got this recipe from some Canadian Chinese YouTuber. She bought the paphi and phrag with such pot mixture from some very experienced nursery owners and then she started to change all her paphi&phrags into this soil mixture. The soil/perlite mixture works pretty good for almost all terrestrial orchids, but one has to change the percentage of perlite. For some zygopetalum and most lycaste it’s much easier to grow them in 50-50% perlite&soil mix than conventional potting media. MissOrchidGirl, the famous youtuber also changed her zygo from being potting in barks to perlite&soil mix, and the leaves are firmer and the roots grow a lot.
I attached a photo of the other sanderianum I put in a 17cm perlite-soil mix pot, you can clear see roots are stimulated.0E2ECA60-C9A1-4D2A-AA31-2BF1B07AFAB4.jpeg

Thanks. To the contrary, the soil mix stimulates root growth based on my 2,5 years experience. I got this recipe from some Canadian Chinese YouTuber. She bought the paphi and phrag with such pot mixture from some very experienced nursery owners and then she started to change all her paphi&phrags into this soil mixture. The soil/perlite mixture works pretty good for almost all terrestrial orchids, but one has to change the percentage of perlite. For some zygopetalum and most lycaste it’s much easier to grow them in 50-50% perlite&soil mix than conventional potting media. MissOrchidGirl, the famous youtuber also changed her zygo from being potting in barks to perlite&soil mix, and the leaves are firmer and the roots grow a lot.
I attached a photo of the other sanderianum I put in a 17cm perlite-soil mix pot, you can clear see roots are stimulated.View attachment 28211
another phrag in the same soil mix, and you can see the root tips clearly
FE0AB6EF-6AE7-4C92-8690-4FFA18FBCDE7.jpeg

Many thanks for reply.Yes i just turned to perlite, I use bark and then i put perlite onto surface while it can sink to the bottom until i cant put further perlite onto surface.Works very well, I have problem only soil.

I can´t use a similar mixture here in the tropic. Maybe beacuse the hot and high humedity. Some years ago I used perlite in the medium and when repotting the next year Paphs roots were far from the perlite, I think roots considered it like "poison",.....lol.

I can´t use a similar mixture here in the tropic. Maybe beacuse the hot and high humedity. Some years ago I used perlite in the medium and when repotting the next year Paphs roots were far from the perlite, I think roots considered it like "poison",.....lol.

Some nurseries that try to grow easter lilies have had problems with perlite I think; it releases a chemical they don’t like depending on water and certain conditions. I tried to look it up quickly but couldn’t find match

Latest posts

Back