Paphiopedilum tigrinum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opening after 3 months in slowwww spike growth! Supposed to be a semialba but I don’t see it lol except the green (vs brown stem). Apparently the green stem is seen in some populations. Still cute nonetheless.

F0625EA1-0A51-4BDF-8C8A-F07A0222E3EA.jpeg 0E09ABC2-64B8-4BAF-A520-7868621DAE30.jpeg C52E8008-1821-45EB-9842-E740A04B78D1.jpeg

I grow them hot (25-32C) and wet in summers, slightly drier (never completely dry) and cooler nights (16-18C) in winter. I keep leaves and axils between leaves dry at all times. So water only on pot top. Also feed lite rarely, every 3rd watering.... flush with RO. It gets bright light, slightly less that cattleyas around 2000 FC. Repot every 2 years in bark/perlite/charcoal. High humidity (65%) for 3 hours in day, drops to 40% night. Plants must be dry by nightfall.

What a nice well coloured exemplar!

I'm dying - as did my own very beautifull and several growths big tigrinum! Or, maybe, more precise: I'm on the brink of dying every time I think of that!

After having taken some time to recompose, I shall to return to my role as the eternal nitpicker: there is no album form of tigrinum and hence no semi-album (sic!). The designation 'album' is properly used for purely white flowers (e.g. P. bellatulum or P. museum fma. album).

The albinistic colour form of tigrinum has properly been published as P. tigrinum fma. smaragdinum (alternatively var. smgd. if you follow Kew's International Plant Names Index and World Checklist of Selected Plant Families).

Guido Braem as well as Olaf Gruss have both expounded thoroughly on the concept of album and albinistic forms, and offer clarifying and quite interesting reading on the subject. What has confused the matter over times are plants being either published or awarded as album, although clearly not being exactly that!

Last edited:
Mr. Garrison, I never knew paphs had viruses? LOL... I can send a small tissue sample for you. Wait on second thought I have a viral testing kit here from Agdia so never mind, I will keep the plant safe here. Your kind offer is noted for future references.

Jens, you are mostly right. The albinistic or greenish white version of tigrinum is the var smaragdinum, initially described as a new species in 2003. There is however a true album or rather alboviride version of the tigrinum without any red or brown pigments on the flower or plant. I hope to secure a division from a private collection in the future.

Mr. Garrison, I never knew paphs had viruses? LOL... I can send a small tissue sample for you. Wait on second thought I have a viral testing kit here from Agdia so never mind, I will keep the plant safe here. Your kind offer is noted for future references.

Jens, you are mostly right. The albinistic or greenish white version of tigrinum is the var smaragdinum, initially described as a new species in 2003. There is however a true album or rather alboviride version of the tigrinum without any red or brown pigments on the flower or plant. I hope to secure a division from a private collection in the future.

i'd need the 'entire plant' to be able to do a thorough test... and of course i could only return a division of that plant at some point in the far future... ;-) (am i trying to hard? LOL)

He’s having you on!

At l least you offer back a division through the selfless concern of my plant’s well being. So many kind people here that I can send my plants to better care lol.

Thought I would update a pic of the flower almost 20 days after the last pic posted here. Flower still strong in the shade and cool nights. Taken in night mode lol with yellow fluorescent bulb, appearing more yellow and red.

651D1B22-1810-4E4D-895E-941BEABBAFE0.jpeg

Latest posts

Back