Paphiopedilum tigrinum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

paphjoint

the flower seems quite big 12 cm span -
Enjoy

Paphiopedilum%20tigrinum.jpg

Beautiful Uri, its one of the species Paphs I really want. Over here, it is said that tigrinum is one of the hardest Paphs to grow. Could you shed some light on its growing requirements Please.
Roy

Over here, it is said that tigrinum is one of the hardest Paphs to grow.

I killed one.:( It was sent to me with bad roots, but I've managed to turn plenty of paphs around with bad roots. This one refused to bounce back.

Uri this one is so nice, great job! If you are able to take a full picture shot of the plant, I'd love to see some healthy leaves.

I don't find it hard to grow once established - but when it set sheats one have to be careful with watering - during the winter I would say I water it half as much as my other paphs - so that would be every second week
If you water too much the sheat will eventually rot -

Beautiful Uri, its one of the species Paphs I really want. Over here, it is said that tigrinum is one of the hardest Paphs to grow. Could you shed some light on its growing requirements Please.
Roy

tigrinum is an easy paph to grow. In fact, it is also a fairly fast grower. Its touchy reputation comes from its prolonged bud development...like hirsutissimum, it puts out a sheath that remains dormant for months, before finally slowly developing. In other words, plenty of time and opportunity to blast...which it does quite happily. However, once established, a multigrowth tigrinum can be pretty reliable....and they become multigrowth easily. In fact, treat it like you would hirsutissimum...cool and relatively dry in winter, not totally dry though....Take care, Eric

Uri--

Thanks for the fine photo and the information. I have one in my collection now and will take your advice if it continues to grow.

Very nice Uri!! I have two young plants that tried to bloom this past year, but ultimately blasted. At the time they were just adding their second growths, so I wasn't surprised that they didn't bloom out. But now they are growing like crazy so maybe next year.

You are an inspiration:clap:

Uri & Eric, many thanks for your cultural notes. Eric, from your notes I now know why so many growers here have killed their plants. I grow hirsutissimum reasonably well and always have. P.tigrinum shouldn't be a great problem now knowing what it likes. The only thing I need now is to get a piece, its one of the hardest orchids to buy here, near impossible.
Roy.

Uri & Eric, many thanks for your cultural notes. Eric, from your notes I now know why so many growers here have killed their plants. I grow hirsutissimum reasonably well and always have. P.tigrinum shouldn't be a great problem now knowing what it likes. The only thing I need now is to get a piece, its one of the hardest orchids to buy here, near impossible.
Roy.

Hi Roy,

I have been asking around for this one for a while and none of the importers or growers know of it being available anywhere. If I find any I'll let you know but apparently it's still hard to import anyway.

Fingers crossed it makes an appearance.

Latest posts

Back