Paphiopedilum superbiens

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anca86

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I received today a Paphiopedilum superbiens and I have 2 questions:
1. Does it need a rest period?
2. Does it produce stolones?
Thank you!

I am not aware that any paphs need rest periods. If they do, the ones I have grown have tolerated not getting any.

Superbiens has a more compact rhizome.

1. Does it need a rest period? NO (as Ray already mentioned)
2. Does it produce stolones? NO
I was asking about the stolones because my superbiens looks strange.

Attachments

• 20220128_151937.jpg
    20220128_151937.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220128_151907.jpg
    20220128_151907.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220128_152039.jpg
    20220128_152039.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 21

In my eyes this isn't a stolon but a climbing rhizome. I don't know and am not sure....but would assume that this might be a trait of single plants.
I had the same appearance with a Paph. lawrenceanum. Unfortunately the plant doesn't exist anymore because I damaged it hard by accident. I stumpled and catched my fall by putting my hand somewhere....unfortunately I put it directly on this plant and damaged it. After that she didn't recover and eventually died.
Though I had this plant for many years she never flowered and therefore I can't really confirm if it was a true Paph. lawrenceanum or whether the name was only written on the tag.

Last edited:
In my eyes this isn't a stolon but a climbing rhizome. I don't know and am not sure....but would assume that this might be a trait of single plants.
I had the same appearance with a Paph. lawrenceanum. Unfortunately the plant doesn't exist anymore because I damaged it hard by accident. I stumpled and catched my fall by putting my hand somewhere....unfortunately I put it directly on this plant and damged it. After that she didn't recover and eventually died.
Though I had this plant for many years she never flowered and therefore I can't really confirm if it was a true Paph. lawrenceanum or whether the name was only written on the tag.
Thank you !
Sorry for your orchid but at least you did not hurt yourself 😉

Yes, an interesting and unclear phenomenon. I also encountered this on plants that used to grow normally for years. For example, purpuratum. Pinocchio has a new growth with this structure.

Back