Paphiopedilum superbiens var curtisii 'Big Boy' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My superbiens got a whopping 88 points in the September monthly judging here in Toronto! I called him 'Big Boy' as the flower size is as big as the largest previously awarded ones and darker than most. Thanks to a good friend in US who helped me select this plant.

As it is just a first bloom, maybe next flower will be larger and get an FCC! One can dream LOL.

superbiens BB 88b.jpg superbiens BB 88a.jpg superbiens BB 88d.jpg superbiens BB 88c.jpg

There is a registered cross of Paphiopedilum superbiens x Paphiopedilum curtisii named Paphiopedilum Cymatodes. It was registered by R.H. Measures in 1893. The last AOS award for Paphiopedilum Cymatodes WAS an 83 pt AM.

The AOS has also awarded Paphiopedilum superbiens, Paphiopedilum superbiens var. curtisii and Paphiopedilum curtisii independently.

Kew.org however lists both Paphiopedilum superbiens var. curtisii and Paphiopedilum curtisii as synonyms of Paphiopedilum superbiens.

I may be incorrect but I don’t believe this is a complex between superbiens ant curtisii

No, Phred, you are not 'incorrect' as such, you have just misunderstood 'likespaphs' comment... He is, I gather, not referring to a grex between superbiens and curtisii - but to an entity sometimes used by taxonomists as e.g. the hirsutissimum complex (containing hirsutissimum, esquirolei and chiwuanum), the hookerae complex (hookerae and volonteanum) - thus also the superbiens complex (superbiens and curtisii).

And God knows it's not only complex in this case, but complicated too! Some taxonomists considers them synonymous; others claim that the "real" superbiens was lost for cultivation for a period of time, but now refound; the differences between the two taxonomic entities often only vaguely described; and if this wasn't enough, among hortoculturalists private definitions of the two "species" abound. One kind of gets the impression that one man's superbiens is another man's curtisii! :confused:

Thanks for the comments.

There are unfortunately many Paphiopedilum species that are similar and confusing with each other, separated only by egos (of taxonomists) and minor flower differences (or even geographical origins). Some examples include Paph. leucochilum/Paph. godefroyae and the entire appletonianum complex.

In this case, the superbiens (as name suggests) is supposed to differ from curtisii by larger elongated size and less dark pouch, possibly taller spike. Because these were so similar and back crossed to each other multiple times, they start to look alike, aka large and dark. Now the accepted name from Kew Checklist is Paphiopedilum superbiens var. curtisii.

The hybrid between the two Paph. Cymatodes is very unlike the parents, most with non-twisted petals and different markings.

There are many "conversations" on this site regarding Paph. superbiens vs. Paph. curtsii. I think they are different and have different foliage, petals etc. Some people disagree.

Your plant is really a true Paphiopedilum curtisii. Some years ago the true Paph. superbiens was found again and this Shows the clear differences to curtisii. Her eat first two different clones of curtisii

Paphiopedilum curtisii 2012 2 Klone.jpg
Paphiopedilum curtisii

and now the true superbiens Paphiopedilum superbiens 2016 - 02 a.jpg Paphiopedilum superbiens

Here an old print of the typical Paph. superbiens

Paphiopedilum superbiens Dictionnaire Iconographie des Orchidées pl.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

Thank you, Olaf, for your very elucidating clarification!

Your pictures are very illustrative...and makes clear the distinction between the two taxonomic entities 'superbiens' and 'curtisii'.

It also makes clear that many a curtisii over the years have been sold under the name of 'superbiens', and thus added to the prevailing confusion! :confused:

Kind regards,
Jens

Thank you Olaf for putting this matter to rest. So many conflicting theories out there about this complex. Your illustrations and photos are, as Jens states, 'elucidating'. I hope to see you again at WOC Taiwan.

I grow my curtisiis warm all year, heavier watering in summer growing months. I feed once a month with organic fertilizer, flushing a lot in between.

Latest posts

Back