Paphiopedilum superbiens or var. curtisii ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Titering on the edge of a pale ciliolare for me

Rick, I had the same thought when I saw this flower for the first time yesterday...because of its staminode and colourating...but the warts on the petals are missing. All literature point to these warts. So ??

Last edited:
Not curtisii... maybe closer to 'true superbiens'...but still doesn't quite look right...I tend to agree with Rudolf and the King opting for pale cilliolare (and maybe the paleness and hence the low anthocyanin level accounts for the warts not being especially pronounced?).
It's a bit difficult to see from the photo whether the spotting on the staminodal shield is just reticulation or actually spots/warts? Might we get a close-up, Werner?

Not curtisii... maybe closer to 'true superbiens'...but still doesn't quite look right...I tend to agree with Rudolf and the King opting for pale cilliolare (and maybe the paleness and hence the low anthocyanin level accounts for the warts not being especially pronounced?).
It's a bit difficult to see from the photo whether the spotting on the staminodal shield is just reticulation or actually spots/warts? Might we get a close-up, Werner?
spots/warts

I'm leaning towards Guldal's true superbiens.
I think, I've stopped leaning myself:
spots/warts
Had Werner said reticulation, I would have continued to consider 'true superbiens' - spots/warts drive me more towards pale ciliolare, but even with that species, I think this phenomenon (spots/warts on the staminodal shield) would be considered rather enigmatic? When I get home from work, I will have to look up a couple of botanical descriptions to check, if that might bring us closer to a determination.

Last edited:
This is a questions that has been asked many, many times here. I personally think one of the differences is in the foliage, but others here disagree.

thank you all for the good discussion !

some more remarks: its from a nursery specialized in Paphs in the mountains here, unlikely to be an artificial hybrid, my friend got a typical superbiens at the same day, could be from seed or nature
I like the clear shape of the flower

Back