Paphiopedilum supardii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPMC

Reaction score
I have had this plant for about 15 years. Over the last 4-5 years it has been plagued by mealy bug and microscopic mites. I thought that it was going to die 2 years ago. Thankfully it pulled through and bloomed. I know that it doesn't suit the "symmetry Nazis", but I like it.

Paphiopedilumsupardiiplant06-28-2012.jpg
[/IMG]

Paphiopedilumsupardiiflowers06-28-2012.jpg
[/IMG]

I really like supardii, did you grow yours Fromm seedling? 15 years is a long wait. I got a seedling for about 2 years now. Very slow growing

I really like supardii, did you grow yours Fromm seedling? 15 years is a long wait. I got a seedling for about 2 years now. Very slow growing

Mine was a large seedling when I acquired it. It did bloom regularly for few years prior to the pest infestation. It is a slow grower, but once it's mature it seems to grow relatively steadily and put out one new growth with bloom per year.

Wow! Nice pouch color! So vivid!

Paphman910

Thanks. This plant seems to have a reddish tone to the mahogany color of the pouch. The image was taken with natural light at mid-day and I think that the color reproduction is accurate.

love it! i have 6 big ones i kept from a flask. i am hoping the first will bloom next year. Mine grow pretty well. Looking forward to being able to see a supardii flower in person!

Very nice color.

Does it usually have 3 or more flowers per spike?

Do you know the parents?

Mine grow pretty fast (as fast as lowii at least). Basket culture and reduced K (increased Ca/Mg) feeding has helped stabilize mine from some of the ups and downs you mention.

Very nice color.

Does it usually have 3 or more flowers per spike?

Do you know the parents?

Mine grow pretty fast (as fast as lowii at least). Basket culture and reduced K (increased Ca/Mg) feeding has helped stabilize mine from some of the ups and downs you mention.

It's always had 3 flowers per spike. I'm hopeful for more in the future: I planted it in a plastic basket that is within a plastic pot 2 years ago and the growth has been amazing. It's doubly amazing since it's near-death experience at that time. It's never grown so fast or so well so I hope for better in the future.

The parents are not listed. I bought it from Orchids Limited so it may be one of their crosses.

I don't know which basket culture method you mean. The one I use for armeniacum is "all" basket while this plant is "half" basket. I do use the urea-free fertilizer from Robert's Flower Supply that I think also has low K.

It's always had 3 flowers per spike. I'm hopeful for more in the future: I planted it in a plastic basket that is within a plastic pot 2 years ago and the growth has been amazing. It's doubly amazing since it's near-death experience at that time. It's never grown so fast or so well so I hope for better in the future.

The parents are not listed. I bought it from Orchids Limited so it may be one of their crosses.

I don't know which basket culture method you mean. The one I use for armeniacum is "all" basket while this plant is "half" basket. I do use the urea-free fertilizer from Robert's Flower Supply that I think also has low K.

Robert's sells a version of MSU fert (which is urea free) which I used to use, but it is not low K. It does have some calcium and magnesium, but at levels lower than the K. But if you mix it in tap water rather than the recommended RO water, the balance of K to Ca and Mg will be better. I used it for developing my original low K strategy by "diluting" with calcium nitrate and epsom salts, but have since switched to the K-lite material that Ray got Greencare to make for us.

Although many of us were putting some of our rambling parvis in baskets, for quite a while, it wasn't a common practice to putting other Paphs into baskets, especially with media other than bark or chc based mixes. About a year and a half ago I started moving most of my paphs over into baskets. See a thread called "Mark this date for basket culture". I think Dec of 2010.

Any way I also moved lots of my multis into baskets. Roths, stonei, supardii, sanderianum, kolopakingii, gigantifolium, anitum, randsii..... mostly with very good results. Recently I should note that the ones that did best had more limestone gravel than moss, and I've reduced the moss to rock ratio in several baskets.

One of my supardii (which also has a very red pouch) came from OL too. Maybe they're kin:wink:

Robert's sells a version of MSU fert (which is urea free) which I used to use, but it is not low K. It does have some calcium and magnesium, but at levels lower than the K. But if you mix it in tap water rather than the recommended RO water, the balance of K to Ca and Mg will be better. I used it for developing my original low K strategy by "diluting" with calcium nitrate and epsom salts, but have since switched to the K-lite material that Ray got Greencare to make for us.

Although many of us were putting some of our rambling parvis in baskets, for quite a while, it wasn't a common practice to putting other Paphs into baskets, especially with media other than bark or chc based mixes. About a year and a half ago I started moving most of my paphs over into baskets. See a thread called "Mark this date for basket culture". I think Dec of 2010.

Any way I also moved lots of my multis into baskets. Roths, stonei, supardii, sanderianum, kolopakingii, gigantifolium, anitum, randsii..... mostly with very good results. Recently I should note that the ones that did best had more limestone gravel than moss, and I've reduced the moss to rock ratio in several baskets.

One of my supardii (which also has a very red pouch) came from OL too. Maybe they're kin:wink:

Thanks for the tip on the fertilizer. I'm going to give it a try. I have moved more plants to this "basket within a pot" culture with good preliminary success. I also placed a violascens into this type of basket-pot and it's currently maturing a flower bud! It was languishing until then.

Latest posts

Back