Paphiopedilum sukhakulii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A hybrid with what is my question? Sukhakulii is so dominate in a great many crosses, I don't see any indication of any other species involved if this is a primary hybrid. If you are thinking that it is a bit undersized and the petals are narrow, couldn't that be from culture or from a young seedling? Line bred Suks have better size and form but not everyone is going to be gorgeous,
I would let it flower twice more at a minimum and see if it might improve with age or improved culture. I think it is just too soon. I might have staked it.

A hybrid with what is my question? Sukhakulii is so dominate in a great many crosses, I don't see any indication of any other species involved if this is a primary hybrid. If you are thinking that it is a bit undersized and the petals are narrow, couldn't that be from culture or from a young seedling? Line bred Suks have better size and form but not everyone is going to be gorgeous,
I would let it flower twice more at a minimum and see if it might improve with age or improved culture. I think it is just too soon. I might have staked it.

It looks callosum/lawrenceanum influenced to me. Could be crossed to one of them or one of the thousands of maudiae type hybrids. The narrow, curved petals with sparse spotting and pink tips are wrong for the species as is the big colorful dorsal sepal. The staminode looks a bit off as well.

P. sukhakulii x P. callosum is Paphiopedilum Montagnard. Two have captured AOS flower quality awards. Both are described as having uniform spots on Broad petals and have either a green pouch or a pouch burgundy up top changing to greenish towards the apex. So I am doubtful about that flower being Montagnard.
There are far more images of P. lawrenceanum x P. sukhakulii. Those images seem to show a broader, floppy dorsal with a good deal of white. Their petals hang way down, are more slender without much in the way of spots.
So I guess we need to dig deeper?

Hybrid for sure. At a first glance, it is very obvious that is not sukhakulii.
A complex maudiae hybrid often turns out exactly like this one. Hsinying Alien that used to be everywhere. Whether they were tagged correctly or not is a whole another question, but I have seen tons among that crop that had a flower almost identical to this.

It screams hybrid to me for various reasons: wrong dorsal shape and coloration, petal width and pink petal tips.

It could be a primary or back crossed complex barbatum back to sukhakulii as many suggest above.

Last edited:
Back