Paphiopedilum sukhakulii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice flower. I's a pity that CHC works so well for a few months then kills every root in sight. (for me)

I really like that. A species I would like to add to my collection, but I'm totally out of room.

@Stone, damn I just started experimenting with CHC. I better go back and check out the old threads.

I really like that. A species I would like to add to my collection, but I'm totally out of room.

@Stone, damn I just started experimenting with CHC. I better go back and check out the old threads.
I have a few Paph's that have been in CHC for 2 years now as an experiment, cuz of what people say like the comments on this thread..., and they are flourishing!!! I fertilize it all the time too! CHC will NOT kill all your plants roots if they are prepared correctly before use!! I soak them in distilled water for 24 hrs, then drain and repeat about 5 times and they are fine!!! Don't listen to people that say the CHC burn the roots... if they are prepared correctly, the plants will love them!! Not taking the time to prepare them correctly is the only way they will be bad for your plants....

I have a few Paph's that have been in CHC for 2 years now as an experiment, cuz of what people say like the comments on this thread..., and they are flourishing!!! I fertilize it all the time too! CHC will NOT kill all your plants roots if they are prepared correctly before use!! I soak them in distilled water for 24 hrs, then drain and repeat about 5 times and they are fine!!! Don't listen to people that say the CHC burn the roots... if they are prepared correctly, the plants will love them!! Not taking the time to prepare them correctly is the only way they will be bad for your plants....
Junglejewel, what else is in your mix besides CHC? Thanks-

Junglejewel, what else is in your mix besides CHC? Thanks-
It's %80 small CHC, 10% small charcoal, and 10% perlite. Has worked like a charm. Wil do the same for others as long as it's soaked and washed daily at least 5 times before use. The more soak/wash cycles, the better.

Yes I used to believe that as well. Try this for ''preparation''. Soaked in rainwater and gypsum (because CHC is low in both S and Ca) until they sink to the bottom of the tub. (if they don't sink then you are not washing them) Usually takes about a month. After that, remove and squeeze all of it by hand and back in the water until all traces of smell and colour (tannins) are gone and perfectly clear water remains. This usually takes another 2 months of soaking and changing the water about 5 or 6 times in the process. All kinds of plants grow well in it after this treatment when outside but in the glasshouse, as soon as it starts to break down in the pot you can kiss the roots goodbye. One thing I have not tried yet is using clay pots with it. Most people I know have all moved away from CHC sooner or later. As I said earlier, roots absolutely love them and grow extremely well in the beginning.

Yes I used to believe that as well. Try this for ''preparation''. Soaked in rainwater and gypsum (because CHC is low in both S and Ca) until they sink to the bottom of the tub. (if they don't sink then you are not washing them) Usually takes about a month. After that, remove and squeeze all of it by hand and back in the water until all traces of smell and colour (tannins) are gone and perfectly clear water remains. This usually takes another 2 months of soaking and changing the water about 5 or 6 times in the process. All kinds of plants grow well in it after this treatment when outside but in the glasshouse, as soon as it starts to break down in the pot you can kiss the roots goodbye. One thing I have not tried yet is using clay pots with it. Most people I know have all moved away from CHC sooner or later. As I said earlier, roots absolutely love them and grow extremely well in the beginning.
That's very interesting. How long after the planting would problems arise for you?? And I can't speak for a glasshouse, so I should've been a littlest more specific I guess. Obviously they hold way more water than bark, so can't it work in a greenhouse by watering them way less frequently?

That's very interesting. How long after the planting would problems arise for you?? And I can't speak for a glasshouse, so I should've been a littlest more specific I guess. Obviously they hold way more water than bark, so can't it work in a greenhouse by watering them way less frequently?
I've never really quantified how long it takes for roots to deteriorate but I note than a mix which includes the CHC is more likely to have rotten roots in it than one which doesn't. The fact that outside, it seems to cause few if any problems points to the probability that water is not removed fast enough from the mix when in the g/house regardless of the fans. Just to satisfy myself I might try a few more plants in it again. (I have tons of the stuff!) Do you have any pictures of paphs or their roots in the CHC after a couple of seasons?

image.jpg
I've never really quantified how long it takes for roots to deteriorate but I note than a mix which includes the CHC is more likely to have rotten roots in it than one which doesn't. The fact that outside, it seems to cause few if any problems points to the probability that water is not removed fast enough from the mix when in the g/house regardless of the fans. Just to satisfy myself I might try a few more plants in it again. (I have tons of the stuff!) Do you have any pictures of paphs or their roots in the CHC after a couple of seasons?
Yes here is one. A Venustum. Very healthy root system and look how healthy the plant is as well. Been in this CHC for 2 years now.

Venustum might not be the best example in illustrating your point- as venustums in my humble experience (and our local mastergrower mr. Hans Christiansen's, too) tend to like been grown somewhat wetter/more moist than your average paph.?!

Latest posts

Back