Paphiopedilum sukhakulii x self

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcher85

Reaction score
Finally, after two years dropping buds, I have been able to get flower from this guy. I realized that this plant likes to be wetter than the others paph I have.

Marco

Attachments

• 4327A42A-EDAF-4A71-9CBC-26D4B0E7F136.jpeg
    4327A42A-EDAF-4A71-9CBC-26D4B0E7F136.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 9CDB5164-73CD-49E5-B85D-CAD8797F19B8.jpeg
    9CDB5164-73CD-49E5-B85D-CAD8797F19B8.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 49
Why do you think it happened? (Short stem)
Based on yellow leaves and previous trauma, I suspect the nutritional deficiencies are still concurrent with blooming (as a last ditch effect for species survival). There are enough leaves for a pod to grow before it perishes if in the wild.

Finally, after two years dropping buds, I have been able to get flower from this guy. I realized that this plant likes to be wetter than the others paph I have.

Marco
I like the stance and proportion of your flower. Can you talk about the yellow leaves? Are you using CalMag? Mix is looking old, maybe just the photo? But this is the kind of sukhakullii I enjoy.

Based on yellow leaves and previous trauma, I suspect the nutritional deficiencies are still concurrent with blooming (as a last ditch effect for species survival). There are enough leaves for a pod to grow before it perishes if in the wild.
Yellow leaves are from the previous growth. It was really neglected. This year the growth is bigger and has more leaves. I am using k-lite fertilizer formula (12-1-1-10Ca-3Mg.) @ 50-75 ppm nitrogen every watering. Do you think I need to change the fertilizing regime?

I like the stance and proportion of your flower. Can you talk about the yellow leaves? Are you using CalMag? Mix is looking old, maybe just the photo? But this is the kind of sukhakullii I enjoy.
Yellow leaves are from previous growth (it has been neglected) I use k-lite for RO water. The mix is old I was going to change it when I realized the plant had the bud, and I didn’t want to disturbe it. I will change the mix once the flower drop. Thanks.

Why do you think it happened? (Short stem)

I presume this isn't a selected clone with extra short stems. I'm not sure but I think the extremly short stem is a result of the growing conditions. Maybe youself gave the explanaitions in your postings #9 and #10. Once again, the flower itself is marvellous.

Last edited:
I presume this isn't a selected clone with extra short stems. I'm not sure but I think the extremly short stem is a result of the growing conditions. Maybe youself gave the explanaitios in your postings #9 and #10. Once again, the flower itself is marvellous.
Thank you

Length of spike is heavily influenced by the amount of light... more light equals shorter spike and leaves. Also more light requires more nitrogen or the leaves can yellow. If you water every 4 days 50ppm N is good. If its every 6-7 days 75ppm N would be better... that is if you're growing in high light.

Length of spike is heavily influenced by the amount of light... more light equals shorter spike and leaves. Also more light requires more nitrogen or the leaves can yellow. If you water every 4 days 50ppm N is good. If its every 6-7 days 75ppm N would be better... that is if you're growing in high light.
Thank you, maybe I am giving it too much light.

Twice per week.
At twice a week 50ppm N is high enough. Move the plant to a little less light and the the leaves should get a little darker and lengthen a little. When it spikes the next time it will probably be taller then too.

Latest posts

Back