Paphiopedilum sugiyamanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPMC

Reaction score
I've had this plant for over 7 years. It was a slow growing seedling that started to clump about 3 years ago. It finally has bloomed. According to The Orchid Digest (Volume 76, number 4), there are no "legal" plant of this species in the US, but I purchased this from a US grower that is now out of business. There seems to be some discrepancy about its true status as a species. Looks like a darker form of javanicum to me but much easier to grow. The flower is about 4 inches across and the plant is 13 inches tall from the top of the pot. Regardless, I like it.

Paphiopedilumsugiyamanumflower01-29-2013_zpsec40068a.jpg
[/IMG]

Paphiopedilumsugiyamanumplant01-29-2013_zpsa81fe3ef.jpg
[/IMG]

You really making us jealous of these rarities! Orchid Inn was offering a flask last year.

Beautiful plant and I really admire your culture that you are giving to these plants.

P.S. told myself not to try phrags but you made me got a kovachii :)

You really making us jealous of these rarities! Orchid Inn was offering a flask last year.

Beautiful plant and I really admire your culture that you are giving to these plants.

P.S. told myself not to try phrags but you made me got a kovachii :)

Thank you. I hope that the kovachii does well for you. My success with kovachii has made me try another caudatum. I hope that it lives.

This lovely bloom on a well grown plant is really a rarity, even here in Europe.
I had a seedling some years ago....but that's another issue.
According to literatur P. sugiyamanum is related to P. hennisianum, P. dayanum and P. virens. Kew database says Paph sugiyamanum is an accepted name.

I like it, also. It has a nice mix of delicate colors and contrasting dark lines & spots. When the plant gets a little bigger and stronger, hopefully you'll self it and maybe others will have a chance to have one. It certainly is doing well in your hands!

Nice. i think the lateral petals will reflex. It definitely is a separate species! I was going to ask you how you got it as I have never seen them for sale here. Not that that means anything. :p

Nice. i think the lateral petals will reflex. It definitely is a separate species! I was going to ask you how you got it as I have never seen them for sale here. Not that that means anything. :p

I got it from someone at a local show who bought it from Gore Orchid Conservatory.

Latest posts

Back