Paphiopedilum stonei wild in situ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I asked a friend in Sarawak if he had a picture of what he considered a healthy natural growing wild Paph plant.
He sent a picture of Paph stonei that he took recently and said it is part of a new population he found.

Look at the picture and you can see what a normal wild Paph looks like.
It's not what I call dark green.
How do your plants look in comparison?

...and? The leaf colour is the response to all factors that act with the plant during a given time. Without these infos one cannot recreate - why should one like to do so? - or compare with our windowsill/GH/culture.

I am constantly amazed that some are able to grow this species so easily. Claims of it being easy and fast (and in some cases, the fastest grower), yet under my culture it is slow and difficult. I have tried regular fertilizer, and a K-Lite approximate, but still I struggle. I am obviously missing a vital aspect of its requirements. This is why the in-situ pictures are of so much interest. Not because of leaf colour, but the plant environment, thank you all for the pictures!

My stonei that is huge is medium green and grows like a weed! Lots of lava rock at the bottom half of my pot and it is root bound!

Hard to tell if the is actually dark or light green from the photos.

Back