• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Paphiopedilum Stoned Matthew seedlings for sale

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phred

Reaction score
Paphiopedilum Stoned Matthew. This is a cross I made in 2015 between Paphiopedilum Memoria Matthew P Dewitt and Paphiopedilum stonii... photos attached. These are in 2.25” pots. The price is $20 each plus shipping. I could probably fit them into a small flat rate priority box.1A505D63-BACB-45F8-9FAA-F2B8ED86CF6E.jpegE8D28B21-F6CC-4A08-8E6A-E621F78AF411.jpegBFFCF350-5810-4AA4-8BC1-A6BD526DE4E8.jpeg

Looks like anitum pictured there... but your post says stonei... ??
Hi Richard
The stonii I used in this cross was a very good one but belongs to a friend in Colorado... he's anti-tech so I couldn't get a picture. The stonii in the photo belongs to another friend that allowed me to use it. It is Paph stonii 'Princess Stephanie' AM/AOS

Last edited:
very good... i was perusing photos of stonei primaries with the cochliopedilum group... very interesting range of results....

would you mind posting which plant was the pod parent?

Here is my stonei as a reference photo. Not the pollen parent of this cross, but thought it would help for reference.
Hi DJ
That's closer to the color of the pollen parent. Thanks for posting your picture.

By the way... I can ship 1 or 2 bare root, anywhere in USA in a small flat rate box, for $8.50

I was finally able to get a photo of the actual pollen parent of this cross. It’s a very nice Paph stonii. I have a few more seedlings available if anyone is interested.81F2D2D0-DDFF-4710-A645-197BEAA22248.jpeg

I was finally able to get a photo of the actual pollen parent of this cross. It’s a very nice Paph stonii. I have a few more seedlings available if anyone is interested.View attachment 24579
This is definately not stonei - look at the bent-knee staminode (typical of Rothschildianum) - and compare it with Djthopm's true stonei.
I would put my money on your plant being Lady Isobel (syn. Lady Isabel - Roth x Stonei), but a very nice one to that!

This is definately not stonei - look at the bent-knee staminode (typical of Rothschildianum) - and compare it with Djthopm's true stonei.
I would put my money on your plant being Lady Isobel (syn. Lady Isabel - Roth x Stonei), but a very nice one to that!
Totally agree with you on that!

Totally agree with you on that!
The plant in question came from Jerry Fischer several years ago. As I understand this plant is the result of a selfing of a stonei Jerry called ‘Fernbrook’ x self. ‘Fernbrook’ was supposed to be a4N.
The photo is not clear enough for me to get an accurate look at the staminode. I sent Jerry an email to confirm and I’ll post after I hear back from him.

The photo is not clear enough for me to get an accurate look at the staminode.
Bear with me for being blunt: you have to be blind as a mole for not seeing, that the staminode of the plant, you present in your photo, in no way conforms to the botanical description of the staminode of P. stonei ("staminode yellow ..... convex, subcircular, truncate or incised at apex, 14 mm long, 11 mm wide, margins coarsely hairy", Cribb, 2014; "The staminode is oval-oblong, yellowish-white, fringed and densely covered with bristle-like hairs except for the glabrous front", Braem et al. 1998).
Here you see what a true P. stonei looks like (like you also clearly see in Djthomp's photo above, #10): Paphiopedilum stonei
The staminode of your flowers show very clearly in your photo - if you take a closer look at for example the flower most to the right, where you get a very good view of the staminode in profile, so to speak, you will see the influence of Rothschildianum without doubt (Roth-staminode: "linear, bifid at apex, geniculate, 14-16 mm long, 4-5 mm wide, densely glandular-pubescent on the margins and at base, pale yellow green", Cribb, 2014; "The staminode is peculiarly structured, resembling the head and beak of a crane, with a long, two-toothed apex held at right angles to the base. It is hairy at the base and along the margins", Braem et al., 1998).
The veining of as well the dorsal sepals as the synsepals show influence from both rothschildianum and stonei, whereas, I would say, the petals are markedly influenced by stonei.
I sent Jerry [Fischer] an email to confirm and I’ll post after I hear back from him.
The only way any confirmation from him would make sense, would be if you have sent him the photo, posted here. And I can't imagine, that he would risk his professional reputation by claiming a plant to be P. stonei, that so clearly do not adhere to the botanical description of the species!

Last edited:
So I got a new photo in good light (not taken with sunset light coming in from the side) and a front on shot of the staminode. I sent the photos to a number of judges and you are correct... the pollen parent is Paphiopedilum Lady Isabel. I have corrected the cross with RHS leaving the name the same. Thanks for pointing this out...
Silver lining: the Lady Isabel parent should actually make for an even better hybrid.
Justin... you are correct the cross with Lady Isabel is probably a much better cross.84FE0828-B537-4990-9CFC-72EF4113F034.jpegDBDBD8A8-45BB-4E59-AC44-3FF3D52EC207.jpeg

Last edited:
Just received 2 of these from Fred last week. Good quality seedlings and he did a superb job packing them.

Looking forward to growing these up.

Thanks Fred!

Latest posts

Back