Paphiopedilum Snow Cloud 'Michal' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccallen

Reaction score
Snow Cloud is Paph. Fanaticum x Paph. emersonii

This is a special plant to me it received an AM/AOS in November at Pacific central judging in San Francisco. The clonal name is after my best friend :)

There's a closeup,

50AE4DDA-601B-43C3-84EF-62E652A99B91_zpsenzlgnxi.jpeg

full view
F92CCB2A-D3FD-4302-86F5-22D1EFE5785E_zpsfu1y0wal.jpeg

and next to my Paph. Memoria Larry Heuer
IMG-6983_zpstlt86lzh.jpg

Both are nicely colored!! I like emersonii hybrids for the pastel color addition, the downside is the dorsel sepal if you can overlook that, they are both very nice!! I also find emersonii hybrids to be quite vigorous growers

the downside is the dorsel sepal if you can overlook that, they are both very nice!! I also find emersonii hybrids to be quite vigorous growers

I know it! Every time this one has bloomed for me it’s been a bit floppy, but the flower is pretty large and has a faint scent so I keep it :)

The douce colours of the petals of the emersonii hybrid combined with the suffusion of red and the intensity of the colours of the staminode have an undeniable WOW-effect! No wonder your plant was awarded! Congrats!

Kind regards,
Jens

I like emersonii hybrids for the pastel color addition, the downside is the dorsel sepal

There is a reason, why emersonii has been placed in subgenus Parvisepalum! :poke: :D

But in respect to the Snow Cloud 'Michal', its little dorsal sepal has a very nice stance - upright, seemingly quite flat.

K.r. Jens

That's a very good example for a successful hybrid. I like it very much, why....did all the other previous speaker say already. And to choose the clonal name after your best friend, that's a great gesture, at least in my eyes.

That's incredible! Very lovely flower and amazing shape given the parentage. I'm a sucker for the spots and tessellation and I love the soft background color. If it's fragrant as well (even if only faintly so) then that's just icing on the cake. And on top of everything else, it has gorgeous leaves.

What's odd is that I've found P. emersonii hybrids to be slower growing and more finicky bloomers compared to most any other Parvi hybrid and particularly in comparison to their P. hangianum counterparts. Perhaps it's just a cultural / regional climate difference that contributes, or perhaps I've just ended up with weak clones, but I was surprised to hear that others find emersonii hybrids to be vigorous.

Congrats on the award, too.

That's a very good example for a successful hybrid. I like it very much, why....did all the other previous speaker say already. And to choose the clonal name after your best friend, that's a great gesture, at least in my eyes.

Thank you - I do think it really mixes the nice qualities of its parents as well.
My friend is not an orchidist, but he did say since we me he has changed to pay much more attention to flowers

Yes I think it blends the positive characteristics of both the parents nicely.
My friend is not an orchidist but he did say that since we met he has started paying much more attention to flowers so I named one for him :)

Latest posts

Back