Paphiopedilum Shun-Fa Golden and friends

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
Paph Shun-Fa Golden (not fully open yet) - this is taking a very long time from bud.
Paph Memoria Larry Heuer (malipoense X emersonii)
Paph wardii
Paph vietnamense - in bud

635b5843e7e1e17b32e9bce8d8f54456.jpg

1dcccba76e965510c29184270e8f1523.jpg

Thank you all.

Paph Memoria Larry Heuer (malipoense X emersonii)
Paph Shun-Fa Golden (hangianum X malipoense)

Paph malipoense is the common parent here. Paph Mem. Larry Heuer is fragrant, I like it. But the doral is too much like Paph emersonii. I hope the next one to open will look more like Paph malipoense.

Both took a very long time to bloom.

Paph Shun-Fa Golden is not fully open yet. I felt like it's been 2 months since it first shows a bud. Anyway I'm excited to see Paph hangianum influence in Paph Shun-Fa Golden. I wasn't trying to cheat. Without lifting the petals, they look similar in size in the first photo. Last year this plant blasted its bud so I was extra careful with giving it more water. I hope that soon I will be rewarded with a big flower.

I was browsing photos of Paph Shun Fa Golden and came across this photo of a thread posted back in 2010

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15511

IMG_0342.jpg

I'm wondering why the larger flower on the right received a red ribbon - and not the rounder, smaller flower on the left. In the original thread the rounder flower is said to have AM award. Both are nice flowers. The objective for this hybrid is to have a very large, round flower with round segment. For ribbon judging - could it be that judges gave the ribbon to the larger flower for its size?

Granted, I really cannot judge the flower without being there. Maybe the larger flower looks better in person. In this photo, the larger flower may not look at its best at this angle.

It's a camera angle thing. Both Chen Samh and Shih-Yueh won 82 pt AM's that day. Shih-Yueh is very full in its award picture, if a bit more horizontal in stature. Dimensions for both:
Chen Samh NS 10.5 x 10.2, DW 4.7, PW 5
Shih-Yueh NS 14 x 11.5, DW 4.6, PW 5.8

My Shunfa Golden is very large this year (17cm) even with floppy droppy petals and terribly dented pouch, but very fragrant day and night.
Better luck next year. :(

I was very excited to see it opening up as I didn't see deformity on the dorsal this time and the overall appearance looked very promising.
Oh, well...

Latest posts

Back