Paphiopedilum Senne Calle

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the Röllkes should know, since Senne Calle is a hybrid of their making! The influence of wardii in your clone, though, is rather faint to spot, but the cute reddish spots in the central part of the flower is a most endearing trait (a reminicence of the niveum in its background, I guess?).
Plant looks still young and small. So this is not its potential yet.
The flower is presenting itself proudly, but maybe it might be adviceable to cut it and put it in a vase, so the plant preserves its strength and uses the energy on growing (an advice Leslie and others conveyed to me recently in a parralell situation, so I really can't take credit for it! 😉).

Well, the Röllkes should know, since Senne Calle is a hybrid of their making! The influence of wardii in your clone, though, is rather faint to spot, but the cute reddish spots in the central part of the flower is a most endearing trait (a reminicence of the niveum in its background, I guess?).

The flower is presenting itself proudly, but maybe it might be adviceable to cut it and put it in a vase, so the plant preserves its strength and uses the energy on growing (an advice Leslie and others conveyed to me recently in a parralell situation, so I really can't take credit for it! 😉).

That's great, I was going to ask advice on this forum on that very subject.. As Dr Leslie said the plant is young and small so I didn't expect it to bloom yet, but it seems as though it's struggling as it also has a couple of new growths as well. I wondered if cutting the flower was the best thing to do and you have confirmed this for me - thank you! :)

This one is a nice callosum-like flower. In fact it looks more like a selfing of callosum than like a Senne Calle, which is ((callosum x niveum) x wardii) x callosum.

.....In fact it looks more like a selfing of callosum than like a Senne Calle, which is ((callosum x niveum) x wardii) x callosum.

These were my thoughts, too. Nothing or almost nothing to see of P. niveum and P. wardii in this flower. But it is lovely without any doubt. 👍

......I wondered if cutting the flower was the best thing to do and you have confirmed this for me.....

Sometimes the best thing with young and small plants is....already cut the bud. But this is against our curiousity to see the first flower. Producing a flower can a small plant overstrain.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back