Paphiopedilum Sanderianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it seems ive tried to help a Nassim Nicholas Taleb fan boy who jumped on the bandwagon, read black swan and mistakenly believed they understood it :).

Anybody else thinks this gentleman is a bit weird and overly defensive?
I know who the person is now. Its an English colleague who tried to troll me all the time. I should have realized it’s him when he mentioned it’s a novelty Phalaenopsis since it’s his only knowledge about orchid from me. No one here could confuse a paphi as a novelty phal. My fault to be so gullible. He got me this time though, and he made this post become an entertaining post...my apology

Last edited:
Alain, wellcome to Slipper Talk! Glad to have you here.

That is a great success you show us. That's a really beautiful sanderianum!

BTW: the potting medium depends on lots of environmental conditions, which are different for each grower, so there is no wrong or right media, only one that works for you. Why change a running system...?

I have no problem if someone told me it’s not a sanderianum, and even if it’s not it does not matter much for me. It’s still a nice plant that gives me flowers. I just think it’s a weird that people claim I have bad eyesight on a online forum as I never pretended that I know what it is exactly.
Good attitude.

As a self-professed Sanderianum expert and lifetime admirer I am sorry to inform you that this is indeed a very common novelty phalaenopsis. It is clear that you have taken good care of it and I commend you for that!
But.. I am afraid your species identification skills are way off (maybe you have some eyesight issues, so I will refrain from being too harsh on your obvious lack of knowledge just in case that is the case).

The orchid in the picture is 100% a low-grade hybrid Michael Koopowitz mass-produced I'm afraid in the greenhouses of south Germany. The good news for you is that you could probably sell it for a small loss given today's insane market. However, the leaves are severly damaged so this is doubtful.
Mr Delon, please heed this advice... a soil and perlite mix (2:1) is a sufficient growth media if you want to nuture an orchid to bloom. However, the fixation, air circulation and subsequent water retention WILL eventually rot the roots from inside out. I take from your self-declared potting mixture you have been an orchid hobbyist for <5yrs I would wager you have already experienced what you believed to be over-watering casualties that are down to this potting mistake. I would employ you to not re-invent the wheel here and stick to a common bark composition.

P.S. this is just advice.. enjoy your hobby friend.
Why did you state this is a very common novelty Phalaenopsis .………..when it is indeed a Paphliopedium……

and I agree that
As a self-professed Sanderianum expert and lifetime admirer I am sorry to inform you that this is indeed a very common novelty phalaenopsis. It is clear that you have taken good care of it and I commend you for that!
But.. I am afraid your species identification skills are way off (maybe you have some eyesight issues, so I will refrain from being too harsh on your obvious lack of knowledge just in case that is the case).

The orchid in the picture is 100% a low-grade hybrid Michael Koopowitz mass-produced I'm afraid in the greenhouses of south Germany. The good news for you is that you could probably sell it for a small loss given today's insane market. However, the leaves are severly damaged so this is doubtful.
Mr Delon, please heed this advice... a soil and perlite mix (2:1) is a sufficient growth media if you want to nuture an orchid to bloom. However, the fixation, air circulation and subsequent water retention WILL eventually rot the roots from inside out. I take from your self-declared potting mixture you have been an orchid hobbyist for <5yrs I would wager you have already experienced what you believed to be over-watering casualties that are down to this potting mistake. I would employ you to not re-invent the wheel here and stick to a common bark composition.

I am a little concerned over the statement that:
“ this is a very common novelty Phalaenopsis”……when it is clearly a Paphliopedium. Typo? Auto correct typo?

It is a lovely grown and bloomed Paph and I will enjoy it in the photos as a sanderanium as Dr. Leslie states (who I bow to in every post).

Why some won't take it as a joke like NY Eric? LOL! At first, I thought it was because of the language problem but it wasn't..., some thin-skinned...🤣
Hey, Rooster, I want to see you sanderianum!

Latest posts

Back