Paphiopedilum sanderianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Calvin, I just realized after MrHappyRotter's post that this is blooming out of season (normally from April-May) not far from you in the wild. Is this line bred from Taiwan? If so, what are the parents? The leaves do indeed look more organized and upright than any sandies I have seen or grown.

Calvin, I just realized after MrHappyRotter's post that this is blooming out of season (normally from April-May) not far from you in the wild. Is this line bred from Taiwan? If so, what are the parents? The leaves do indeed look more organized and upright than any sandies I have seen or grown.

My sanderianum was collected from the wild.

It's a nice sandy and yes the stance of the leaves reminds me mor to P. rothschildianum than to P. sanderianum. The stance of the leaves of mine P. sanderianum is complete different.

Is this normal ? Because the origin of P. sandie isn't Malaysia.

Is this normal ? Because the origin of P. sandie isn't Malaysia.

If my memory doesn't elude me completely, I think, you are barking up the wrong tree here, Guru?!

P. sanderianum is from Sarawak, the one of the two malaysian states in Borneo - and so is Calvin (see under his avatar: "Location: Sibu. Sarawak. Malasya")!

Calvin, please tell me, you didn't remove the plant, yourself, from the national park?! :confused:

Last edited:
If my memory doesn't

Calvin, please tell me, you didn't remove the plant, yourself, from the national park?! :confused:

Whether you collect the plant yourself or buy it from someone who did, it is the same thing. You are creating the demand to collect wild plants. IUCN say there are less than 50 adult plants of sanderianum left in the wild. It seems doomed like most Paph species.

Personally I much prefer line bred clones to wild collected plants. The sanderianums you get from Sam Tsui are much superior to this clone.

If my memory doesn't elude me completely, I think, you are barking up the wrong tree here, Guru?!
P. sanderianum is from Sarawak, the one of the two malaysian states in Borneo - and so is Calvin (see under his avatar: "Location: Sibu. Sarawak. Malasya")!

Sorry Jens, of cause you are right. I had in mind the origin of P. sanderianum would be in Indonesia but it isn't, albeit the border isn't far.
But my thoughts were the same as yours. Why does someone collect an endangered species from the wild when you can get it as an artificially propagated plant ?

This just opened up a can of worms.

As conservationists and keepers of the CITES rules and regulations, it is not right to collect plants from the wild, unless they were threatened by forest fires and deforestation. The protected habitat of sanderianums is in the Mulu National Park in Borneo (state of Sarawak) where they are more than the quoted 50 plants. Since their rediscovery, much have been done to keep their populations up.

Perhaps what Calvin may have meant was that this was from a plant that was collected in the jungle way back in time. And he has a division of the plant. I have known many collectors in Malaysia with such divisions.

Back