Paphiopedilum sanderianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulation!

Maybe just me......I've read all your stories but how much you can trust the seller? To my eyes it looks so much like a hybrid......

If my memory doesn't elude me completely, I think, you are barking up the wrong tree here, Guru?!

P. sanderianum is from Sarawak, the one of the two malaysian states in Borneo - and so is Calvin (see under his avatar: "Location: Sibu. Sarawak. Malasya")!

Calvin, please tell me, you didn't remove the plant, yourself, from the national park?! :confused:

I didn't remove the plant from national park and I never been to Mulu before. Lol... I saw someone selling sandie on FB so I just order one from the seller. I wish I could have chance to see any paphs in the wild one day. My place here (home town) doesn't have any paphs in the jungle.

Last edited:
This just opened up a can of worms.

As conservationists and keepers of the CITES rules and regulations, it is not right to collect plants from the wild, unless they were threatened by forest fires and deforestation. The protected habitat of sanderianums is in the Mulu National Park in Borneo (state of Sarawak) where they are more than the quoted 50 plants. Since their rediscovery, much have been done to keep their populations up.

Perhaps what Calvin may have meant was that this was from a plant that was collected in the jungle way back in time. And he has a division of the plant. I have known many collectors in Malaysia with such divisions.

That’s what I thought. Nothing about this plant looks wild-collected, at least not recently. My prize P. rothschildianum was collected from the wild — in 1955. I look for plants like this, that I can prove were collected and have been in loving cultivation for a long time.

Well Calvin, that's a relief. I highly doubt sellers will collect wild plants when the line breeding plants are much more easier to secure, grow and bloom. And BT is correct, the leaves look very clean and wild plants will have all kinds of damage. In addition the linear upward growth of the very straight leaves, gives some doubt as to the provenance of the FB claims as 'jungle' origin.

But I could be wrong LOL (seems to be my signing off waiver)...

That’s what I thought. Nothing about this plant looks wild-collected, at least not recently. My prize P. rothschildianum was collected from the wild — in 1955. I look for plants like this, that I can prove were collected and have been in loving cultivation for a long time.
Just curious, how does your roth behave under cultivation? growing & blooming habit.

Latest posts

Back