Paphiopedilum sanderianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musa

Reaction score
Just found my sandy starting to bloom. I nearly overlooked it behind the leaves of my Amorphophallus species.
I'm looking forward to the flowers in full bloom, it is a first time bloomer. I bought the seedling in 2013.k IMG_3405 copy.jpg k IMG_3406 copy.jpg k IMG_3418 copy.jpg

to be continued...

5 FLOWERS!! is very special!! Keep it hydrated and the flowers from drying out too much!! You could get it awarded If the shape is consistent & symmetrical and the judges aren't stuck on flat & round lol..

Thank you all!
Mrhappyrotter, propably I wouldn't have missed the complete blooming, but it would have been really hard to undo the mess of the curly petals and the leaves of neighbouring Paphs without any damage...
and of course I'll keep you posted, Jens.
Thanks a lot for your remarque on petal growth, Ozpaph, I'll try to keep the petals free hanging and untouched. What about the leaves of the sandy itself? it seems that it won't be possible to keep them away of the petals without risking some damage. I don't have any idea what the parentage is. I bought it from Hilmar Bauch (Asendorf, Germany), I'll ask him, maybe he still has some information.
Thanks troy, I keep that in mind and will try to get some infos about awarding procedures in Austria, I'm not yet member of any orchid society, I haven't had too many special paphs blooming yet, I suppose that will be necessary. I hope all five flowers will develope properly.

Some one on ST suggested with P. philippinense to mist the petals on a daily basis to enhance petal length and growth. I tried this once with a St.Sw. and it seemed to work well - during the next blooming I was partly away on holiday and couldn't stick to this regime with a semi-detrimental effect on the petals, that semi-dried up, though the plant itself was sufficiently watered.

Does anybody here have an idea, whether such a misting regime would apply to sanderianum as well?!

Congrats on your bloom. Five flowers is quite an achievement.

However, based on leaf stance (straight up versus gently folded in waves of the species) and width and stance of petals at base (near pouch), plus the way the petals uncurl, this might be a primary sanderianum hybrid like Yang-Ji Hawk. Also blooming season is off since most sandies bloom in late spring (though fall blooming is not unusual). But combined all these factors together, I would suspect as such. Growing my sandies over the last 15 years, you tend to notice these things. But of course I could be wrong LOL.

Thanks, Leslie, for mentioning it, you are not the first one with a doubt. I'm glad for your comment. It's my first sanderianum blooming so my eye isn't that sharp yet. I'm back on monday, then I'll post better photos with more details.

Ozpaph, I'm not at home right now, next week I'll post new photos. I asked the vendor for the parentage, don't have an answer yet.

Sorry, it took a little time but now i have some better photos. I'd like to hear your opinion wether it is a pure sanderianum or not, as Leslie suggested.
At the moment all five blooms are open, only the petals are not yet completely unfolded. Petal length is 22 cm (8.6 inch).
If you want some more details or info please ask.
To me it is the most stunning orchid I had in bloom till now!
Michael

k IMG_3478 copy.jpg k IMG_3486 copy.jpg k IMG_3509 copy.jpg k IMG_3490 copy.jpg k IMG_3493 copy.jpg k IMG_3491 copy.jpg k IMG_3510 copy.jpg k IMG_3516 copy.jpg k IMG_3489 copy.jpg k IMG_3544 copy.jpg

I don't think it is a straight sanderianum. The petals are too short. The way the petals are spiralling suggests this could be Paphiopedilum Chiu Hua Dancer ( gigantifolium x sanderianum).

I think chiu could be a likely candidate staminode and dorsel mine also has a white peduncle, although most chiu hua flowers have a red pouch.....but hell that's just my 2 cents, veery beautiful blooming plant whatever it is, I'd keep it!! Maybe ask the vendor about it

Latest posts

Back