Paphiopedilum Saiun

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the breeding of hybrids is the intention to create something bigger and better, then there are only two things that need to be improved on this beauty (while maintaining the color):

1. increasing the size of the dorsal using album versions of brachys, parvis and bulldog complexes
2. increasing the petal widths using the album brachys like bellatulums and godefroyaes, and bulldog complexes

There is a third thought in breeding... and that is of novelty colors using colorful species like venustum (offspring is Venus Aglow), Maudiae types, and dark bulldogs (like reds and spotted ones). This however may mute the colors with a recessive albine genes in play. However it can be used to increase the size of the Saiun in F2.

Of course this is only if the pollen is available at this time. Saiun has only been bred 17 times from my records in Orchid Wiz X6.0. So still relatively unproven parent.

What do you think Fred?

I've never seen an album Saiun and didn't know it had been made. I would think the obvious crosses are with mltifloral albums such as lowii album, roebelinii album, etc. Raise the flower count and keep the lovely green. Anbother way to go, of course, would be an albu,m form of a brachy, though no guarantees on the outcome as to form and color. Might be nice, might be a dog. I would think as to shape it would pretty mucn breed like its sukhakulii parent, so you might get an insight as to potential form by checking other suk crosses.

How about just selfing it? I'd love a few chances at getting similar flowers....
Hi Rich
Lahua makes this cross... that's where I got the three I have.
I think I have pollen from my album Saiun ‘Glow Stick’ if you want to sib cross.
Hi Leslie
I put pollen from a godefroyae album on it. We'll see if it takes.

Hi Rich
Lahua makes this cross... that's where I got the three I have.

Hi Leslie
I put pollen from a godefroyae album on it. We'll see if it takes.
ahhh somehow i thought this was your breeding... thanx

Back