Paphiopedilum rungsuriyanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought mine last year. It grew in rockwool, but I planted to my organic mix. It has been growing now > 6 months, and noticed last sunday that WOW, there is a big flower bud already. I watered it last week, and did not notice anything. I didn't expect the plant to flower, because, don't remember anymore when, November perhaps? I noticed there were a brown sheet, or so I thought and it looked dry. I thought that it had planned of flowering, but had changed it mind. So now I'm happily suprised! 🤗

Attachments

• 20230306_180048.jpg
    20230306_180048.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230306_180037.jpg
    20230306_180037.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Thanks, Mafate. First, I must wish every woman in ST a lovely International Women`s Day. Here is a rose from my own garden for all women.
Then to my mix. I use for Paphs small-sized, to bigger ones also some bigger-sized pine bark, perlite, and sometimes vermiculite. That`s the basic mix. Then I add one-third charcoal made from deciduous trees. I sometimes add dried cow manure or some other fertilizer, and I have used dried leaves, which I have chopped in the mix. Last time I did not. Earlier I also used adder's fern (Polypodium vulgare), which contains a lot of sugar, but not for several years now. When I plant, then, depending on the species, I add sphagnum moss and/or peat, for some more and some less or not at all. You know in peat there you can find, if you buy a BIG amount peat to garden, there are tiny amounts really fibrous peat. That is what I use in small amounts. I will add a picture of the rung. pot from a side view, you can see the material, at least a little bit. When I got the plant, there was nothing wrong with it, but I still think, that after I changed the mix, it looked livelier very soon, and the new shoot had stronger colour from the beginning. Let`s hope I didn`t forgot anything.

Attachments

• 20220725_170318.jpg
    20220725_170318.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220927_100521.jpg
    20220927_100521.jpg
    707.4 KB · Views: 1
Oh, yes...save a species for the next generation...by cites...hah...HOW??????
So you think that hybrids are legal? I have Hanoi Fairy ( rungsurianum x fairrianum) and I’ve been told to keep it at home…no shows. I also have rungsurianum x niveum…love this one.

Attachments

• IMG_2376.MOV
    18.2 MB
  • 13779328-2CCB-468B-BA3D-FD5545C575C2.jpeg
    13779328-2CCB-468B-BA3D-FD5545C575C2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
So you think that hybrids are legal? I have Hanoi Fairy ( rungsurianum x fairrianum) and I’ve been told to keep it at home…no shows. I also have rungsurianum x niveum…love this one.
Very nice. I think restriction is for only species.Or not??? I don t know....

I remember there being a bunch of drama when Norman Fang sold hangianum hybrids before the species was legally imported but as far as I know nothing ever came of it. Just a few days ago on Facebook an acquaintance who is also an AOS judge mentioned buying rungsuriyanum x sukhakulii at the Paph Forum from Hillsview. I had always understood hybrids of illegal species to also be illegal but perhaps that has changed or it is no longer being enforced by US agencies?

Beautiful flowers on those hybrids, some of the hybrids look not so nice. Yours one can see the influence of both parents.
I don't know your laws and regulations in US. but here in Europe, I would say that the vendor's could not even sell any illegal plants. They also have to have legal documents, when they send them. Atleast, when you ordered plants from UK before the Brexit. Now you can't order anything from there and I don't know if they are ever going to get the agreements made ready to transport goods between UK and EU.

May I ask dogidogi how soon your rung made it to the opening of the bloom? It seems to grow fast, much faster than others. Yours is a fine plant. It would be nice to get several growths. Must live in hope. 😊

Apologies! I misread your pseudonym.
No problem....I grow them in lava rock mixed gravel, few moss on top. They love it.Waterings only with rain water, fertilizing with foliar, peters calMag, 600 us, once per week in summer, twice per two weeks in summer. I attached my canhii in bud, grown under similar conditons.

Attachments

• IMG_20230309_074931.jpg
    IMG_20230309_074931.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
This is my rungsuriyanum and 1 canhii all growing in grodan cubes that suits them excellent, keeping them moist and letting them dry out a bit between waterings, 4 rungsuriyanum whereas 3 is in but, I am so excited, the canhii bloomed a few weeks ago😇🙏

Attachments

• IMG_20221223_164647.jpg
    IMG_20221223_164647.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221223_164715.jpg
    IMG_20221223_164715.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221223_170344.jpg
    IMG_20221223_170344.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221223_170330.jpg
    IMG_20221223_170330.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221223_170337.jpg
    IMG_20221223_170337.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Good looking rungsuriyanums, congrats! May I ask where you have bought them?
Your canhii flower is cute also, but very pale leaves. Why is that?

Couldn't help noticing that one plant with green leaves on the right corner from your rung is bought from Hans Christiansen, Denmark.

It's interesting that you're growing them so wet. I didn't get the impression from the literature available online that they were found in wet conditions. That's good information to know.

Good looking rungsuriyanums, congrats! May I ask where you have bought them?
Your canhii flower is cute also, but very pale leaves. Why is that?

Couldn't help noticing that one plant with green leaves on the right corner from your rung is bought from Hans Christiansen, Denmark.
Hello...The pale leaves on canhii is because its an old growth, and thus has become Pale in process, the view I have photographer is maybe not the best, but there is the pale old growth and the on with flower and two new growths on the way...Its relatively easy to grow, though canhii is not so easy to grow as rungsuriyanum...The green leaves plant you mention is a young plant of druryi which I have 5-6 plants of in different sizes🙂

Latest posts

Back