Paphiopedilum rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIN

Reaction score
Would like to share with you rothschildianum origin from Mount Kinabalu with wider leaves although only 2 flowers one is deform i'm still very happy with it. I have few varieties from Telupid with smaller diameter of leaves.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 49
Please tell us this wasnt illegally collected.

Let me put this way your country is Australia a lot of native orchids especially from Northern part which is very close to Equator. One of the most beautiful species is Dendrobium speciosum I do believe it's readily available in certain nurseries again the same thing happened here where I live in Malaysia the origin of roths. I can see some of the nurseries do the same thing. On the way to Mount Kinabalu few nurseries selling wild orchids including the above species and other paphs such as volunteanum, virens and others too. Hope will give you some clue.

In australia they are not plucked to total extinction, then sold in the bundles of bundles to just die on the market floor because nobody wants to buy a 1,000 plants of roth or sanderianum

Thanks gego will share with you when another clone is opened later.
QUOTE=DIN;655180]Thanks gego will share with you when another clone is opened later.[/QUOTE]

Thanks DIN but no, I don't like to grow species from the wild. For me, they belong there and they are pretty to look at if they are in the wild. I have seen so many species when I was young but they are not as pretty and easy to grow compared to the man-made selected clones.
But of course, most likely a collector from Asia would crave for plants from another continent, like wise here in the US and Canada is a reverse.
I made that comment because you have posted and owned species from the Phils, which are supposedly illegal even to acquire for domestic use. So if you were able to have them there, there's no reason you can't acquire local plants in your country. I don't blame you. It's supply and demand.
All I can say is that the Phil gov't is so stupid not to let local nurseries propagate these species and let them sell to the world. Now other countries are getting them illegally, propagate and enjoy the fruits.
I like both species and hybrids and like them more if they are a product of a good breeder.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I believe it's illegal to poach plants off Mt Kinabalu , no matter who you are...if I were to go to any national park in the US and do the same..I could get into a lot of trouble..so I think your analogy sounds more like rationalization and trying to convince yourself you did nothing illegal

In australia they are not plucked to total extinction, then sold in the bundles of bundles to just die on the market floor because nobody wants to buy a 1,000 plants of roth or sanderianum

Probably same thing as the natives people here there sell in single or double fan many visitor from oversea dropped by and bought the plants. Some of them dried and they throw away like a trash behind the hut so sad.

Gego.
I won't say Phil govt. is stupid we as an orchid collectors from different background so called very "intelligent" our line of thinking is always "outside of the box" but to them is different. I respect your opinion as it's your owned criteria what you want in your collection.

If you sell native orchids in Australia they must come with a government issued 'licence' tag otherwise you face very heavy penalties.

Same thing here and not much different.

I believe it's illegal to poach plants off Mt Kinabalu , no matter who you are...if I were to go to any national park in the US and do the same..I could get into a lot of trouble..so I think your analogy sounds more like rationalization and trying to convince yourself you did nothing illegal

I agree with you it's illegal I'm nothing...nothing much we can do as the native people here are so powerful but I'm not defense myself, based on experience and interviewed them.They said their regular customer were from Euro, Taiwan, Japan, Asia and USA too. They bought the plants with relatively very cheap and transported illegally to their own country finally with the mechanism so called "seedlings in the flasks" it's become legal. Amazing.

I'm so sorry causing a lot of trouble here my intention is basically to share the knowledge, sharing the beautiful species ever exist in this world from South East Asia but some of you were not very happy how I'm acquired the plants I told you sincerely but interpreted in different way. I think I better back off from this forum rather causing disharmony. My sincere apologizes.

Latest posts

Back