Paphiopedilum rothschildianum 'Sam's Best' FCC/AOS x Perfection FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
The second time I have flowered this clone. A bit of a disaster for some reason. Only one flower and a very short spike. I wasn't going to bother posting it, but it does have a NS of 32 cm which is easily the widest roth I have flowered. But still, the balance is uneven to say the least. :)

rothschildianum%20Sams%20Best%20x%20Perfection%202021.jpg

Some say, that the second flowering might often present problems... how did it behave the first time round?

If a more balanced flower then (with all the other reservations allowing for its status as first time bloomer) and the impressive NS this time, you might strike pure gold the 3rd or 4th flowering! 🤗

Some say, that the second flowering might often present problems... how did it behave the first time round?

If a more balanced flower then (with all the other reservations allowing for its status as first time bloomer) and the impressive NS this time, you might strike pure gold the 3rd or 4th flowering! 🤗

This is how it first flowered -

https://www.slippertalk.com/threads...t-fcc-aos-x-perfection-fcc-aos-gm-joga.46819/
Yes, I do find the second flowering can be a step backwards sometimes.

I always consider this species the King of the Slippers (and sanderianum can be his Queen ) :) and it's really great to see pictures of royalty ! Hope it will do again better next flowering ! First flowering was really great. Wondering if you turned the plant during last phase of flower opening? I tend to have this "wobbly petal" effect when I don't put my plants in exact same orientation after dipping/watering it. Doesn't explain the short stem.

I always consider this species the King of the Slippers (and sanderianum can be his Queen ) :) and it's really great to see pictures of royalty ! Hope it will do again better next flowering ! First flowering was really great. Wondering if you turned the plant during last phase of flower opening? I tend to have this "wobbly petal" effect when I don't put my plants in exact same orientation after dipping/watering it. Doesn't explain the short stem.
I use the name tag as a “compass“ to make sure the plant remains in the same position all the time.

The second time I have flowered this clone. A bit of a disaster for some reason. Only one flower and a very short spike. I wasn't going to bother posting it, but it does have a NS of 32 cm which is easily the widest roth I have flowered. But still, the balance is uneven to say the least. :)
Looks to be a compact grower. Wondering what happens if you cut off the next two spikes that form and just let the plant grow?

rothschildianum%20Sams%20Best%20x%20Perfection%202021.jpg

32 cm. NS…
Certainly keep. I had two bloom with short spikes last year. I think they were to young to bloom. Another STer commented about flowers “in the foliage” and blaming on lots of cloudy weather. My point is, if something slowed its blooming, whatever it might be, and it still has a 32 cm. NS…what might it do when bigger/older?

32 cm. NS…
Certainly keep. I had two bloom with short spikes last year. I think they were to young to bloom. Another STer commented about flowers “in the foliage” and blaming on lots of cloudy weather. My point is, if something slowed its blooming, whatever it might be, and it still has a 32 cm. NS…what might it do when bigger/older?

The weather has been very wet and cloudy for the last few months. Not a lot of sunshine or warmth.

I definitely have no plans to get rid of this one. It is quite a distinctive clone which is worth keeping from that point of view.

I wonder if I got a NS of 32 cm because it only had one flower. If the plant had to put its energy into two flowers, then each flower may have been smaller. Time will tell.

Agree it’s worth keeping around, the first bloom was really nice! On a mature, multiple growth plant it’s going to be spectacular!

Only looking at NS is a keeper, but I will more concentrate on an all rounded flower. It is still valid that Taiwan's roths breeding is still running far ahead over the world.

I dont think thats true.
Paph Paradise roths have 5-7 flowers
Sam's 'King Kong' is a fantastic clone
TON have some magificent roths like 'Taratula'.

The breeding styles are all a bit different and complimentary, I think.
I agree 7 flowers are exceptional. But I know the breeding standard of roths from Taiwan flies to the universe these 2 years and the most fantastic clones are yet to be shown before the public. I have heard that the top class Roths has a DS of more than 8 cm and NS of 37. It is all taking about the first flowering of the plant. The dorsal does not twist in particular at the bottom while the petal stands horizontally and in parallel. Bear in mind that the measurement of DS in Taiwan is much more strict as compared with western countries. Taiwan just use the widest straight point between two edges of the dorsal as the measurement figures while I know the measurement standard from western breeders such as OZ uses the curve dimension of the Dorsal as measurement figures.

I am not saying that the breeding from western breeders are inferior but please trust me, Taiwan’s breeding quality is now really horrible. Their standard for keeping the roths for further observation is first flowering with DS over 7 cm and NS over 32 with maximum 2 growths nowadays.

I agree 7 flowers are exceptional. But I know the breeding standard of roths from Taiwan flies to the universe these 2 years and the most fantastic clones are yet to be shown before the public. I have heard that the top class Roths has a DS of more than 8 cm and NS of 37. It is all taking about the first flowering of the plant. The dorsal does not twist in particular at the bottom while the petal stands horizontally and in parallel. Bear in mind that the measurement of DS in Taiwan is much more strict as compared with western countries. Taiwan just use the widest straight point between two edges of the dorsal as the measurement figures while I know the measurement standard from western breeders such as OZ uses the curve dimension of the Dorsal as measurement figures.

I am not saying that the breeding from western breeders are inferior but please trust me, Taiwan’s breeding quality is now really horrible. Their standard for keeping the roths for further observation is first flowering with DS over 7 cm and NS over 32 with maximum 2 growths nowadays.
Wow…
Impressive!

Latest posts

Back