Paphiopedilum rothschildianum "lion king"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries.
If you say dorsal, people will usually expect that you mean dorsal width.
You can measure dorsal width (horizontal) and dorsal length (the vertical length).

That is a lovely roth. Based on the ruler the dorsal looks about 5 cm wide. If it was 10 cm, it would be the greatest clone ever. :)

38580-f583e07e3cc0751406799f7d873e16f9~2.jpeg
Here's a quick markup for anyone who doesn't know:
Red: Natural Spread. Spread is measured as-is without letting the ruler change the petal stance. Usually you take the spead from the biggest flower and then take all the other measurements from that same flower.
Green: Dorsal Width, measured at the widest point. If you're following AOS rules, you may push the dorsal as flat as it will go against the ruler.
Yellow: Synsepal Width (behind the pouch), widest point, also may be pressed flat.
Purple: Petal Width, widest point, pressed flat, one usually does not count hairs.

What really matters, though, is that it's a very nice roth with great color & proportion.

Last edited:
Don't fret that it bloomed smaller this time. Many plants of these grexes from Sunlight orchids via Hilo came with great flowers, but on diseased, weakened plants that required serious babying just to keep them alive. You'll see huge flowers when it's older.

Don't fret that it bloomed smaller this time. Many plants of these grexes from Sunlight orchids via Hilo came with great flowers, but on diseased, weakened plants that required serious babying just to keep them alive. You'll see huge flowers when it's older.
It’s strange, I’ve purchased several in bloom roths from HOF and been super pleased with how vigorous and healthy the plants were. I’m not sure where the issues with these plants came from, but I also have one on the mend. Reminds me of some of the old OZ plants that had first blooms of unbelievable quality, but then the plants immediately melted down almost overnight - I’m still working on getting some of those back to flowering shape. I wonder if it’s some additive that stimulates great blooms, but generally weakens the plant? Either hormonal or nutritional?

Thank you all for the nice comments!!! It is a really great plant and I hope to bloom It again for maybe even a better bloom. It looks like it wanted to produce a 5th flower but im not sure if it will develop. I will post another image when the last flower opens!!!

Latest posts

Back