Paphiopedilum rothschildianum growing advice worked!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secundino

Adorable Stud
Reaction score
In 2013 I asked for advice as I just got my first Paph. rothschildianum. The plant has 9 1/2 leaves now and a little something growing from the basis what will be a new growth, so I guess the plant is mature now and I hope for flowers during the next roth - season.

Paph.%20rothschildianum.jpg

My thanks to all of you and every advice I got - it worked! Lots of crushed shells (mussels and sepia), a bit of epsom salts every other month, free fertilizing (something I usually do not) and growing outside in good light and perfect ventilation: slow but strong growth. 48 cm from tip to tip -rather compact.

a%20rot.jpg

And hopefully there is an update soon!

Beautiful chunky plant!
Second leaf from the bottom on the right....is that just discolouration near the base of the leaf?

This plant is not usual for a roth. Massive and particular leaves shape. Where did you buy it?

It would be in bloom in Spring 2017 if no growing problem.

This is a plant from Elsner, I don't know the parentage. As for the shape, I think that might be due to the plant growing outside and though there is shade, its getting a fair amount of sun, too. The leaves are very stout, fleshy and rigid, around 30 cm x 4,5 cm. The leaf 'burns' on the tips of older leaves are my fault - last winter the plant had an excess of salts while being kept dryer. As soon as I returned to normal watering this problem stopped.

No idea, ... but as you live in Brisbane and that is roughly 28 and something latitude, more or less the same where I live on northern hemisphere, if you grow roths outside they could look similar?

I think you're doing a fantastic job with the plant. My roths don't look like that either though. As well as you're doing with that plant it will bloom very soon and you can see if it's a roth.

hello Secundino ,mine roth is identical your (It may be less regular in shape),also mine came from elsner ,I have bought it to november 2012 and was a very small plant,in these years I have grow it outdoor for about 7 month and the rest of the year inside on the windowsill and now it have put off 2 new grow ,the leaf is 5cm large and 30cm length like your.
I think that you and me have the same plant,so it will be interesting to see what's going to happen.
when have you bought it ?
why many of you have doubt on right label ?
Anna

Latest posts

Back