Paphiopedilum rothschildianum 'Golden Boy' AM/AOS x 'Giant Wings' GM/WOC

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
First flowering seedling from Sam Tsui breeding. Golden Boy is from MM x Rex I believe and Giant Wings is TON of course. I am very happy with the outcome. Nice colour and form and the petal stance is great. Not an enormous flower (25 cm NS) but the plant is small, so I expect the flowers to get significantly bigger on a larger plant. I think it is a keeper.

Paphiopedilum%20rothschildianum%20Golden%20Boy%20x%20Giant%20Wings%202021%202.jpg

Paphiopedilum%20rothschildianum%20Golden%20Boy%20x%20Giant%20Wings%202021.jpg

Last edited:
loverly and has me scanning Sam's site (haven't ordered anything for 3 months... maybe its time ;-) )

any chance this is actually the 'gold dynasty x giant wings' grex? (PAS0731) (he may just be sold out of the cross you have)

loverly and has me scanning Sam's site (haven't ordered anything for 3 months... maybe its time ;-) )

any chance this is actually the 'gold dynasty x giant wings' grex? (PAS0731) (he may just be sold out of the cross you have)

It is definitely Golden Boy X Giant Wings. Here is Sam's description of this cross. It must have sold out. It was a few years ago now. I have not been able to find any flowering examples of this cross on the internet, so maybe there wasn't a large number or I am one of the first to flower it.

PAS0375 Paph. rothschildianum x sib ('Golden Boy' AM/AOS x 'Giant Wings' 20-24cm ls $50.00 GM/WOC) Golden Boy is bred from Rex x MM. It has very dark strips over creamy white backgound. Giant Wings is one of the best from Val x MM in Japan. It has very dark color and great form.

First flowering seedling from Sam Tsui breeding. Golden Boy is from MM x Rex I believe and Giant Wings is TON of course. I am very happy with the outcome. Nice colour and form and the petal stance is great. Not an enormous flower (25 cm NS) but the plant is small, so I expect the flowers to get significantly bigger on a larger plant. I think it is a keeper.

Paphiopedilum%20rothschildianum%20Golden%20Boy%20x%20Giant%20Wings%202021%202.jpg

Paphiopedilum%20rothschildianum%20Golden%20Boy%20x%20Giant%20Wings%202021.jpg
Nice deep colour

thanx lots of other giant wings crosses with plants having MM in their background...

crap shoot on the next line breeding :) either way they will likely be nice

For a while there, Sam was breeding a lot with Giant Wings. This is the first roth with Giant Wings as a parent I have flowered. I bought the flask 'Giant Wings'x ''Canadian Club'' and a few seedlings of the TON cross "Black Eagle'' x 'Giant Wings'. Both of which should be great.

Sam doesn't seem to understand what a sib cross is. He often puts sib when they are not.

PAS0375 Paph. rothschildianum x sib ('Golden Boy' AM/AOS x 'Giant Wings' 20-24cm ls $50.00 GM/WOC)

Nicely done David beautiful markings on this one.
I recently purchased the ' Black Eagle ' x 'Giant Wings' as well , cross #PAS00663 from Sam. Hoping for the same, maybe darker.

Nicely done David beautiful markings on this one.
I recently purchased the ' Black Eagle ' x 'Giant Wings' as well , cross #PAS00663 from Sam. Hoping for the same, maybe darker.

Thanks Rick. How far off is your Black Eagle ' x 'Giant Wings' from flowering? I have one plant that may flower in 2 years. I am hoping for darker flowers on that one.

A single fan at NS of 30 inches, of course I paid for the size too. Not working as hard as you!

That plant is amazing Rick. I dare say you will be flowering yours first. I look forward to seeing how yours turns out. I had to grow mine from very small seedlings. I bought 5. One is NFS, two are a lot further back and the last two have barely progressed.

Latest posts

Back