Paphiopedilum rothschildianum 'Gigantic' FCC/AOS x 'Samurai'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
First flowering seedling from Sam Tsui breeding. Gigantic is from the US and Samurai is from TON (Val x MM). I flowered a really good roth last season that I said was the best Paph I have ever flowered. Well this one is better again. It has really good form, colour and size. The NS is 27.5 cm and the width of the dorsal is 6.0 cm. It is good as I could hope for in a seedling.

This plant won grand champion at our virtual Spring show this weekend. I have asked for this plant to be judged for an award. Because of the COVID lockdowns, it will be judged from photos. One judge has seen it in person and measured it. I'll let you know the outcome. May take a few weeks.

If Sam still has any of this cross I would grab them. I know of two other clones. One had a NS of 31 cm (dorsal was a bit wavy though) and the other would have been put up for an award but the fourth flower had a small defect. The owner will wait until next flowering to have it judged.

rothschildianum%20Anisha.jpg

rothschildianum%20Anisha%202.jpg

rothschildianum%20Anisha%203.jpg

Did it have to go through the Ausie quarantine as well? If so, it recovered well!

I got it off Brad, who used to be on this forum. I assume he grew it from flask, although I am not certain. This plant has been a good grower. Probably the largest roth seedling I have flowered.

First flowering seedling from Sam Tsui breeding. Gigantic is from the US and Samurai is from TON (Val x MM). I flowered a really good roth last season that I said was the best Paph I have ever flowered. Well this one is better again. It has really good form, colour and size. The NS is 27.5 cm and the width of the dorsal is 6.0 cm. It is good as I could hope for in a seedling.

This plant won grand champion at our virtual Spring show this weekend. I have asked for this plant to be judged for an award. Because of the COVID lockdowns, it will be judged from photos. One judge has seen it in person and measured it. I'll let you know the outcome. May take a few weeks.

If Sam still has any of this cross I would grab them. I know of two other clones. One had a NS of 31 cm (dorsal was a bit wavy though) and the other would have been put up for an award but the fourth flower had a small defect. The owner will wait until next flowering to have it judged.

rothschildianum%20Anisha.jpg

rothschildianum%20Anisha%202.jpg

rothschildianum%20Anisha%203.jpg
Can’t but love it. Wow.

Incredible! I love Sam Tsui's plants! They are usually so vigorous and healthy. Are you growing it in an aquatic pot?

What strikes me about this flower is not the size. That changes between bloomings. What is impressive is the flower balance and poise of the petals. Nice one there.

Yes. It is in a 17 cm aquatic basket pot. The roth's seem to love that size. The seedlings really take off when I move them up into the 17 cm baskets.
Thank you for the reply. That is interesting because I have started growing some Oncidiums in aquatic baskets, and the roots are a bit healthier in them. How often do you water this roth?

Thank you for the reply. That is interesting because I have started growing some Oncidiums in aquatic baskets, and the roots are a bit healthier in them. How often do you water this roth?

Once a week in the cooler part of the year. Twice a week in summer. I grow them in a humid greenhouse which means they don't dry out too fast.

Back